Converting from bytes to String

Discussion in 'Java' started by ramakrishna, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. ramakrishna

    ramakrishna Guest

    Hi,
    I have String object and using decodingservice i am decoding service i
    am decoding the string.
    DecodingService will take the bytes and return the bytes.Return is zip
    files. I am converting the bytes into String object using new String(
    bytes[] bytes) constructor.Result String iam storing in response object
    and content type is the "application/zip".while downloading the zip
    file and open with it zip file, it is showing that zip file is missing
    95 bytes.

    I feel that it because of converting zip bytes to String object and
    storing to response object.

    while iam storing bytes directly into response object it is working
    nice.

    Please help me to find out the reason for missing 95 bytes.

    Thanks In Advance

    ramakrishna, Sep 27, 2006

  2. ramakrishna

    Dan Andrews Guest

    Hi Ram,

    Below is a very simple JSP file that I currently use on a server
    running the 1.4 JDK. I write the bytes exactly as I read them. I have
    not found any problems with it. You will want to replace the terms, the
    file, and the Locator parts with what you need. If you don't want the
    JSP implementation, then you might be able to translate the content
    type and header parts to your implementation to see if that helps. You
    might also want to remove the sleep I have. If you find any browser
    problems or flaws or can suggest improvements, then I'd appreciate the
    feedback.

    <%

    String terms = request.getParameter("TERMS");
    String file = request.getParameter("FILE");

    if( terms != null && terms.equals( "AGREE" ) && file != null ){
    try {
    String filename = ca.ansir.util.Locator.getDocumentBase() +
    "downloads" + java.io.File.separator + file;

    // set the http content type to "application/x-unknown"
    response.setContentType("application/x-unknown");

    java.io.File fileToDownload = new java.io.File(filename);

    // initialize the http content-disposition header to
    // indicate a file attachment with the filename
    response.setHeader("Content-disposition", "attachment; filename=\""
    + file + "\"");
    response.setContentLength((int)fileToDownload.length());
    java.io.FileInputStream fileInputStream = new
    java.io.FileInputStream(fileToDownload);

    // flush the header
    out.flush();

    // transfer the file byte-by-byte to the response object
    byte[] bytes = new byte[16384];
    for( int count = fileInputStream.read(bytes), read = 0; count >=0;
    count = fileInputStream.read(bytes)) {
    response.getOutputStream().write(bytes, 0, count);
    read += count;
    // tune download down a bit
    if( read >= 1024 * 100 ){
    read = 0;
    Thread.sleep( 100 );
    fileInputStream.close();
    out.close();
    }catch(Exception e) // file IO errors
    {
    out.println( e.getMessage());
    out.close();
    e.printStackTrace();
    }
    } else {
    %>
    [snip]
    <!-- Show no file selected message to user here -->
    [snip]
    <%
    }
    %>