converting JSON to string

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gowri, Jan 12, 2008.

  1. Gowri

    Gowri Guest

    Hello,

    I actually have two questions:
    1. Are there any libraries which convert XML to JSON?
    2. I am currently doing the above using the DOM parser and creating a
    JSON array

    <snippet>
    for node in doc.getElementsByTagName("book"):
    isbn = node.getAttribute("isbn")
    titleNode = (node.getElementsByTagName("title")
    [0]).childNodes[0]
    title = titleNode.data
    primarykeys.append({'isbn': isbn, 'title': title})
    return primarykeys

    I want to send primarykeys as a response to my client. i use
    mod_python and apache. The problem is, I have not been able to figure
    out how to convert my JSON output to a string.

    Could someone please help me?

    Thanks in advance

    Gowri, Jan 12, 2008

  2. Gowri wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I actually have two questions:
    > 1. Are there any libraries which convert XML to JSON?
    > 2. I am currently doing the above using the DOM parser and creating a
    > JSON array
    >
    > <snippet>
    > for node in doc.getElementsByTagName("book"):
    > isbn = node.getAttribute("isbn")
    > titleNode = (node.getElementsByTagName("title")
    > [0]).childNodes[0]
    > title = titleNode.data
    > primarykeys.append({'isbn': isbn, 'title': title})
    > return primarykeys
    >
    > I want to send primarykeys as a response to my client. i use
    > mod_python and apache. The problem is, I have not been able to figure
    > out how to convert my JSON output to a string.
    >
    > Could someone please help me?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    do:

    return str(primarykeys)

    Also there are Python modules for just this. Here is the very first link
    from Google:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-json

    I have used this one personally and have been very satisfied with it.
    There is another one (CJSON?) which is similar, but written in C, for
    when performance may be an issue.

    Hope this helps.

    Adonis

    Adonis Vargas, Jan 12, 2008

  3. Gowri

    Gowri Guest

    Hi Adonis,

    Thanks so much. Appreciate it :)

    Gowri, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Gowri

    Gowri Guest

    On Jan 11, 7:21 pm, Adonis Vargas <>
    wrote:
    > Gowri wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I actually have two questions:
    > > 1. Are there any libraries which convert XML to JSON?
    > > 2. I am currently doing the above using the DOM parser and creating a
    > > JSON array

    > > <snippet>
    > > for node in doc.getElementsByTagName("book"):
    > > isbn = node.getAttribute("isbn")
    > > titleNode = (node.getElementsByTagName("title")
    > > [0]).childNodes[0]
    > > title = titleNode.data
    > > primarykeys.append({'isbn': isbn, 'title': title})
    > > return primarykeys

    > > I want to send primarykeys as a response to my client. i use
    > > mod_python and apache. The problem is, I have not been able to figure
    > > out how to convert my JSON output to a string.

    > > Could someone please help me?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > do:
    >
    > return str(primarykeys)
    >
    > Also there are Python modules for just this. Here is the very first link
    > from Google:
    >
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-json
    >
    > I have used this one personally and have been very satisfied with it.
    > There is another one (CJSON?) which is similar, but written in C, for
    > when performance may be an issue.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Adonis

    Actually, I have one other problem after all this. I see that if I try
    to construct JSON output as above, it is of the form
    [{'isbn': u'1-56592-724-9', 'title': u'The Cathedral & the Bazaar'},
    {'isbn': u'1-56592-051-1', 'title': u'Making TeX Work'}]
    The extra 'u' seems to causing syntax error in JavaScript which is not
    able to parse this response string. Any idea how I can fix this?

    Gowri, Jan 12, 2008
  5. -On [20080112 08:38], Gowri () wrote:
    >Actually, I have one other problem after all this. I see that if I try
    >to construct JSON output as above, it is of the form
    >[{'isbn': u'1-56592-724-9', 'title': u'The Cathedral & the Bazaar'},
    >{'isbn': u'1-56592-051-1', 'title': u'Making TeX Work'}]
    >The extra 'u' seems to causing syntax error in JavaScript which is not
    >able to parse this response string. Any idea how I can fix this?

    JSON does not support Unicode in the sense of allowing raw Unicode codepoints.
    Instead JSON uses a \uNNNN scheme to encode Unicode characters (a bit flawed
    to limit it to four hexadecimal digits though, it leaves the whole CJK Unified
    Ideographs Extension B out of scope.).

    I use simplejson along with lxml/ElementTree for my JSON<>XML needs.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
    Any road leads to the end of the world...

    Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven, Jan 12, 2008
  6. Gowri

    Gowri Guest

    On Jan 12, 2:58 am, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmo...@in-
    nomine.org> wrote:
    > -On [20080112 08:38], Gowri () wrote:
    >
    > >Actually, I have one other problem after all this. I see that if I try
    > >to construct JSON output as above, it is of the form
    > >[{'isbn': u'1-56592-724-9', 'title': u'The Cathedral & the Bazaar'},
    > >{'isbn': u'1-56592-051-1', 'title': u'Making TeX Work'}]
    > >The extra 'u' seems to causing syntax error in JavaScript which is not
    > >able to parse this response string. Any idea how I can fix this?

    > JSON does not support Unicode in the sense of allowing raw Unicode codepoints.
    > Instead JSON uses a \uNNNN scheme to encode Unicode characters (a bit flawed
    > to limit it to four hexadecimal digits though, it leaves the whole CJK Unified
    > Ideographs Extension B out of scope.).
    >
    > I use simplejson along with lxml/ElementTree for my JSON<>XML needs.
    >
    > --
    > Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(-at-)in-nomine.org> / asmodai
    > $B%$%'%k!<%s(B $B%i%&%U%m%C%/(B $B%t%!%s(B $B%G%k(B $B%&%'%k%t%'%s(Bhttp://www.in-nomine.org/|http://www.rangaku.org/
    > Any road leads to the end of the world...

    Thanks Jeroen. That helped a lot :)

    Gowri, Jan 13, 2008