Cookie gets changed when hit comes from a referrer

rusi

I have no objection to encouraging people to read the fine manual, and I
don't intend to be Nikos' (or anyone else's) unpaid full-time help desk
and troubleshooter. But I do think it is simply unfair to treat him more
harshly than we would others in the same position. If *anyone else* asked
for help on these sorts of network and browser questions, we'd give them
more constructive pointers than just "google it".

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-October/657221.html

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-October/657034.html

Steven D'Aprano

That's a good example of exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Joel responded with "have you checked the pysvn mailing list" and gave a
URL to that list. That is a good, helpful response, given that we can't
be expected to know everything about every arbitrary package that might
use Python.

And even this got a response suggesting the poster look for an nginx
mailing list, which while less helpful than it could have been, was still
a concrete, helpful response: not "RTFM", or "just google it", but
"that's a problem with nginx, you need an nginx forum, not a Python one".

Steven D'Aprano

There are limits to how much disruption and obstinacy this community
should tolerate from a given individual.

I think we are in violent agreement :)

It's possible we disagree about where to draw the line, and whether
persistent cluelessness counts as wilful disruption, but otherwise I'm
not disagreeing with you.

Tim Golden

So, for the benefit of anyone, not just Nikos, who wants to learn about
how browsers connect to web sites and how to run a web server, does
anyone have any recommendation for tutorials, mailing lists, web forums
or books which are suitable? Preferably things you have used yourself,
and can personally vouch for being useful.

Not that it's a free resource, but I found this O'Reilly pocket guide
useful as a starter. It's not too expensive either.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565928626.do

I bought it for my Dad who's a retired civil engineer now happily
engaged in setting up small websites for Parish groups and the like.
Exactly the kind of thing where he can experiment with a bit of
wackiness without people minding too much if things go wrong... (And he
does have a test rig at home).

As clearly evidenced by the wide range of reactions one sees in answer
to "What's the best book...?" questions here, different people have
wildly different learning styles. For some, going to the RFCs is
*exactly* what they find interesting & illuminating. For others, a
step-by-step with screenshots is more the thing, etc.

TJG

Denis McMahon

You can't seriously mean that everyone who runs a website has to become
skilled at reading and interpreting the RFCs for "internet protocols".
Which protocols? All the way down to TCP/IP?

I'm not talking about running a website, I'm talking about writing code
that uses specific protocols to transfer data. If Nikos is writing code
that uses http, then he needs to understand http.

His previous questions relating to his wish to spoof ip addresses
suggests that in his case, he needs to understand tcp/ip as well.

I'm not suggesting that every web admin needs to know these, but anyone
who is trying to talk at the protocol level needs to understand the
protocol, yes.
Nikos Nikos Nikos... and what about me? If I asked you for a few
pointers about a good place to learn about running a web site, would you
tell me to **** off too? I wonder what you are doing here, if you are so
unwilling to share your hard-earned knowledge with others as you seem in
this post. This attitude is not the Denis McMahon I'm used to.

I'm not unwilling, but this forum is not the place for tcp/ip 101, or
http 101, or smtp 101, or dns 101, or geolocation 101, despite Nkos'
attempts to turn it into one. This forum is a place for python coding.
Nikos, are you reading this? This is what happens when you behave like a
royal pain in the arse and annoy people. They stop wanting to help you.
Be told. Learn from this. Don't repeat this mistake in the next forum.
If you learn nothing else, learn that lesson.

Yes, this is exactly the issue. I am so pissed off with trying to help
Nikos and being told things like "Your solution is crap because you use
too many lines, even though it works, unlike my [Nikos's] single line
effort which I [Nikos] think looks aesthetically wonderful and which must
therefore be the superior solution even though it doesn't work".

I went so far as to set up mod-wsgi on my server simply to try and
understand his cookie issues - before that I hadn't used python on my
apache server except at the basic cgi level. I managed to get a
functional cookie implementation up and running within a few hours,
primarily by reading the relevant api documentation, and looking up a few
examples on slashdot and similar.

Given that Nikos presents as being a professional coder developing client
facing facing python code for a hosting provider, his inability to do
something similar, indeed his inability to locate relevant sources of
information, is frankly quite astounding, and I am in agreement with the
many others on this forum who regularly and frequently voice the opinion
that Nikos, specifically, has no business coding anything on a web server.

Dennis Lee Bieber

In fairness to Nikos, that may not be an easy thing to do. I for one have
*no idea* where to find an appropriate forum to learn about these sorts
of web basics. comp.protocol.http doesn't exist :)

OTOH, between Earthlink's server (giganews subcontract as I recall) and
gmane -- Doing a search for "http" in Agent's "newsgroup directory" finds
11227 groups... Granted, most of them are gwene "groups" -- RSS feeds to
NNTP access.

172 groups match comp*apache

Dennis Lee Bieber

Personally, what I find most useful is network-level tracing - if I
want to know what my web server's doing, I'll telnet to it (or, more
likely, use my MUD client) and look at exactly what it's sending; and
if I want to know what a browser's doing, I'll do the same (since my
MUD clients allow me to run them "backwards", listening rather than
connecting).

But that isn't for everyone, I'm aware of that.

I'd suggest installing WireShark -- but at that level, one had better
understand how to find information about the various protocols first (like:
the many Internet RFCs) so one can decode the data portion carrying the
top-level protocol... While WireShark will break down the Ethernet, IP, and
TCP/UDP/ICMP headers, reading an HTTP request packet "data".