Cookie Monster

Patrick Zittle

Does anyone know the code for the cookie monster app? It is a little
app that when you start it up it says "I want a cookie" and if you
answer anything but "cookie" it asks you agian. If you answer "cookie"
it goes away. It was on the movie "Hackers" i belive. I also saw it
in a learning python book but can't remember which one. If someone
could please post the code for it on this mailing list. Thanks a
lot!!!

Kevin From Not-So-Sunny California
Think Diffrent!

Peter Hansen

Patrick said:
Does anyone know the code for the cookie monster app? It is a little
app that when you start it up it says "I want a cookie" and if you
answer anything but "cookie" it asks you agian. If you answer "cookie"
it goes away. It was on the movie "Hackers" i belive. I also saw it in
a learning python book but can't remember which one. If someone could
please post the code for it on this mailing list. Thanks a lot!!!

You mean this?

while raw_input('I want a cookie. ') != 'cookie':
pass

-Peter

Gene Heskett

hey, shall we start a sourceforge project for this?

;)

Chuckle... This thing is approaching voting age by now. I remember
it was available for the amiga back in the late 80's-90's time frame.
That one was written in arexx IIRC. And ISTR that we had one written
in Basic09 for the tRS-80 Color Computer running os9 in the mid 80's.
I think its like the locusts, with a somewhat faster lifecycle. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Peter Hansen

> hey, shall we start a sourceforge project for this?
>
> ;)

Knowing SourceForge, there are almost certainly three such
projects already begun, none with released code.

See also http://www.multicians.org/cookie.html for background,
which points out that this has nothing to do with the Cookie
Monster of Sesame Street fame, but instead was inspired by a
cereal commercial in the 60s, featuring an annoying cartoon bear.

-Peter

Peter Hansen

Gene said:
Chuckle... This thing is approaching voting age by now. I remember
it was available for the amiga back in the late 80's-90's time frame.
That one was written in arexx IIRC. And ISTR that we had one written
in Basic09 for the tRS-80 Color Computer running os9 in the mid 80's.
I think its like the locusts, with a somewhat faster lifecycle. :)

The reference I just sent in another post mentions at the end that
at least one publication has called this the earliest known computer
virus, according to the author of the program (though he doesn't agree).

Gene Heskett

The reference I just sent in another post mentions at the end that
at least one publication has called this the earliest known computer
virus, according to the author of the program (though he doesn't
agree).

Chuckle... Yes, I too have seen that description. OTOH, the versions
I've had were all totally benign. Since most viri tend to make one
sick, I don't think this one qualified as anything more than a
playtoy for those with a restricted IQ. All you had to do was type
'cookie' and it went away. You also had to either run it by hand, or
edit it into the startup files, it was not auto-installing like these
vicious winderz things going around today.

Yeah I can call it winderz, or windoze on this property since the only
windows here are made out of clear glass and mounted in sliding
frames in the walls. Or are displayed in X.

BG never had anything of his in this house except the basics that came
with the TRS-80 Color Computer, and that bloody stinking abortion
they had the gaul to call a basic for the amiga. It violated every
programming recommendation ever made for amigados, like using the
upper 8 bits of a 32 bit address for data because the 68000 only had
a 24 bit address bus. I ran it once on a 68000 machine, and managed
to invite a guru meditation within 1 minute. I forthwith deleted it
and bought a copy of SAS/C, and later arexx, followed by rexxplus,
which was a compiler that made standalone code out of your arexx
scripts. I did, with idea help from another amiga user up the road a
few miles, some nice stuff in arexx, like a cron that beats Paul V's,
gui and all, and a home automation system based on the x-10 gadgets,
gui and all, linked to the cron of course.

But time marches on, and as I near the 70th birthday, those creative
juices no longer flow so easily, dammit.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)