Cookies expire immediately, not when set to expire

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Tongass Park Neighborhood Association, Juneau Alas, Oct 1, 2009.

  1. I have tried the following:

    To set the cookie

    Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll").Expires = Date + 30
    Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") = Cstr(Date)
    response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
    "<hr>")

    I upload the page and run it. The cookie returns the Date as set. I
    then comment out the two Response.Cookies lines and it looks like:

    'Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll").Expires = Date + 30
    'Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") = Cstr(Date)

    response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
    "<hr>")

    I upload the page again and run it and get no value. The cookie
    appears to only work in session state, it won't retain the cookie
    based on the expiration date set.

    I tried this test in IE8 and Mozilla 3.5.1. Both exhibit the same
    issue. My IE security settings do not restrict cookies in any way
    that I can find. Neither has Mozilla been set to restrict cookies.

    If I try this test on my local IIS the cookie is retained.

    Why is this not working and is there another way to make it work? I
    want to setup an opinion poll using ASP and thought that the cookie
    would be a good way to limit voting. If this method will not work
    does anyone have a suggestion?
    Tongass Park Neighborhood Association, Juneau Alas, Oct 1, 2009

  2. Tongass Park Neighborhood Association, Juneau Alas

    Evertjan. Guest

    Tongass Park Neighborhood Association, Juneau Alaska wrote on 01 okt 2009
    in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I have tried the following:
    >
    > To set the cookie
    >
    > Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll").Expires = Date + 30
    > Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") = Cstr(Date)
    > response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
    > "<hr>")
    >
    > I upload the page and run it. The cookie returns the Date as set. I
    > then comment out the two Response.Cookies lines and it looks like:
    >
    > 'Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll").Expires = Date + 30
    > 'Response.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") = Cstr(Date)
    >
    > response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
    > "<hr>")
    >

    > I upload the page again and run it and get no value. The cookie
    > appears to only work in session state, it won't retain the cookie
    > based on the expiration date set.
    >
    > I tried this test in IE8 and Mozilla 3.5.1. Both exhibit the same
    > issue. My IE security settings do not restrict cookies in any way
    > that I can find. Neither has Mozilla been set to restrict cookies.
    >
    > If I try this test on my local IIS the cookie is retained.
    >
    > Why is this not working and is there another way to make it work? I
    > want to setup an opinion poll using ASP and thought that the cookie
    > would be a good way to limit voting. If this method will not work
    > does anyone have a suggestion?

    As usual you should try to debug, that we cannot do for you.

    Are both serverside and clientside GMT-clock correctly set?

    Did you try Now() in stead of Date() ?

    What if you set the expiring to Now() + 5000 ?

    BTW, why the () in

    > response.write("<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1") &
    > "<hr>")

    response.write "<hr>" & Request.Cookies("TongassParkPoll")("1")

    will do fine.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Oct 1, 2009

  3. Tongass Park Neighborhood Association, Juneau Alas

    SQLDude Guest

    Here is a little Stupid Cookie Trick which can be very helpful if you
    want to READ the Expiration Date of a Cookie:

    (And you thought there was no way to Read a Cookie Expiration Date,
    too, right?

    Just make all your cookies have a Cookie Keys collection like this:

    Response.Cookies("5000Watches") = Request.Servervariables
    ("REMOTE_ADDR")
    Response.Cookies("5000Watches").expires = Now() + 1
    Response.Cookies("5000Watches").domain = "5000Watches.com"
    Response.Cookies("5000Watches")("Expiration") = Now() + 1
    Response.Cookies("5000Watches")("IPAddress") =
    Request.Servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
    Response.Cookies("5000Watches")("UserAgent") =
    Request.Servervariables("USER_AGENT")

    .... then you can READ this parallel universe Expiration Date by doing
    this....

    Response.Write Request.Cookies("5000Watches")("Expiration") OR

    dtExpireDate = Request.Cookies("5000Watches")("Expiration")

    And all along everyone has been telling me that there is NO WAY to
    Read a Cookie's Expiration Date....
    SQLDude, Nov 24, 2009