Copy Text To Clipboard

Wayne Wengert

I have an ASP page in which I want to copy the contents of a variable (text)
to the clipboard. Based on MSDN examples I tried

window.clipboardData.setData(strTemp)

and that generates an error that "window" is not declared

How do I get my ASP page to copy the data to a clupboard?

Wayne

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Wayne Wengert said:
I have an ASP page in which I want to copy the contents of a variable
(text)
to the clipboard. Based on MSDN examples I tried

window.clipboardData.setData(strTemp)

and that generates an error that "window" is not declared

How do I get my ASP page to copy the data to a clupboard?

There is no notion of a "clipboard" (or a "window" for that matter) in ASP
server-side code.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Steven Burn

Might want to explain _why_ you want to copy it to the clipboard in the
first place as there's most likely, a better way of achieving it.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Wayne Wengert

Thanks for the responses. What I am trying to do is to collect a list of
email addresses and put it on the clipboard so the user can paste it into
their email app to send those addressees email.

Wayne

Steven Burn

Just output it to a text area (ASP doesn't have a server-side clipboard.
You'd need to find a way to do it using JScript/Javascript etc, on the
client-side)

I'm a little curious though.... surely if the persons are sending e-mails to
the recipients, they already have the recipients address's?

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Wayne Wengert

Thanks for the additional replies.

The list of email addresses is the result of a couple of queries where the
user sets certain criteria. The list of email addresses can be well over
1,000 bytes and mailto cannot deal with any target string longer that 250
(been there - tried that). I suspect the JavaScript function is the best
alternative.

Wayne

syoung

Hello Wayne,

Did you find a way to get the content of your clipboard to your asp page?
After reading all the replies to your request, I guess none of them really
know how to do it. I've seen it done. I used an web application where
copied the source code of a web page from any site, then went to the browser
with the web application and pushed a button that will end up parsing all
the html to retrieve the data from the page. I'm looking for the same
functionality with no success. If I find it I'll let you know.

Good luck in your search.