"Correct C++ Tutorial" ch. 2.1 in PDF

Sharad Kala

Alf P. Steinbach said:
Thanks to a new version of OpenOffice that produces acceptable (although
not yet perfect) PDF, and numerous requests for PDF format, I've now
made chapter 2.1 available in PDF format -- e.g., use Acrobat Reader:

<url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_02.html>

I've also changed the numbering format for this chapter.

Hopefully this is better?

That's a lot of text :), I have skimmed through the text and it overall
looks good. Some comments though --

POD stands for Plain Old Data, and not Plain Old Data[Type]

I think the text can get better at places if use proper punctuation at
places. I am not a native English speaker but here are some examples --
"In other words, for each abstraction (logical type) we needed we chose a
more-or-" (Place comma after needed)
"Although it can also serve as a hint modern compilers are most ..." (Place
comma after hint )

2.1.5 -- The title of the section is not clear. Later (2.1.10) I realize
that you mean them as guidelines while writing classes.

Matter of style, I include the user defined headers after the standard
headers.

Initializer lists -- You may want to talk a little about const and
reference members while discussing advantages of initializer lists.

Sharad

Alf P. Steinbach

* Sharad Kala:
Alf P. Steinbach said:
Thanks to a new version of OpenOffice that produces acceptable (although
not yet perfect) PDF, and numerous requests for PDF format, I've now
made chapter 2.1 available in PDF format -- e.g., use Acrobat Reader:

<url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_02.html>

I've also changed the numbering format for this chapter.

Hopefully this is better?

That's a lot of text :), I have skimmed through the text and it overall
looks good. Some comments though --

POD stands for Plain Old Data, and not Plain Old Data[Type]
Thanks.

I think the text can get better at places if use proper punctuation at
places. I am not a native English speaker but here are some examples --
"In other words, for each abstraction (logical type) we needed we chose a
more-or-" (Place comma after needed)
"Although it can also serve as a hint modern compilers are most ..." (Place
comma after hint )

I'm very deliberately removing commas; placing commas everywhere is
a bad habit that I'm still trying to unlearn. The reader can always
mentally insert commas. It's much more difficult to remove them.

2.1.5 -- The title of the section is not clear. Later (2.1.10) I realize
that you mean them as guidelines while writing classes.

Those two sections are "Adjust a class for ease of use" I and II. More
concrete titles would IMO be misleading. What would you suggest?

Matter of style, I include the user defined headers after the standard
headers.

Why?

That way there's less chance of detecting missing #include's.

Perhaps I should have discussed this issue, in some earlier chapter.

Initializer lists -- You may want to talk a little about const and
reference members while discussing advantages of initializer lists.

Not discussed because it requires a full discussion of special members
routines (including a full discussion of constructors), ++.

Edd

Hi Alf,
Thanks to a new version of OpenOffice that produces acceptable (although
not yet perfect) PDF, and numerous requests for PDF format, I've now
made chapter 2.1 available in PDF format -- e.g., use Acrobat Reader:

<url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_02.html>

I've also changed the numbering format for this chapter.

Hopefully this is better?

I haven't read through the document thoroughly yet, but on the face of
things it looks good. As I'm a relative beginner, one thing I'd love to
see is EXERCISES! That's the single most important thing when learning,
IMHO; good questions that lead to insight and experimentation within the
bounds provided by the context of the preceding chapter. I'm currently
reading through Herb Sutter's Exceptional C++ and it's becoming quite
apparent how much you can learn from 'thought-experiments' alone, let
alone practicing the actual writing of code.

<OT>
Take a look at http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp for an
alternative to Oo_Org PDF export.
</OT>

Edd

Edd

Edd said:
Hi Alf,

I haven't read through the document thoroughly yet, but on the face of
things it looks good. As I'm a relative beginner, one thing I'd love to
see is EXERCISES! That's the single most important thing when learning,
IMHO; good questions that lead to insight and experimentation within the
bounds provided by the context of the preceding chapter. I'm currently
reading through Herb Sutter's Exceptional C++ and it's becoming quite
apparent how much you can learn from 'thought-experiments' alone, let
alone practicing the actual writing of code.

FFS! Don't I feel stupid?! Sorry. I flicked to the end to see if there
was a list of exercises and it wasn't immediately obvious that there
was. Also, I did search for "exercises" and "questions" and neither came
up with anything! Enough excuses, completely my bad - apologies!
<OT>
Take a look at http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp for an
alternative to Oo_Org PDF export.
</OT>

This still stands - haha!
I'm going to stick my head back in the sand, where it belongs.

Edd

Thomas Hansen

Alf said:
Why?

That way there's less chance of detecting missing #include's.

Not to mention it also restricts the number of "#define CONST const"
bugs...

..t