could you give me the URL of the last standart C++

heinquoi

Hello,

I have some problemes with microsoft windows programming. Could you help me
? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.

thank for your answer.
Heinquoi

Leor Zolman

Hello,

I have some problemes with microsoft windows programming. Could you help me
? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.

thank for your answer.
Heinquoi

Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:

http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp

(This is actually in direct response to a private email I received from
"Julie", in which she asked for something more "online friendly".)
-leor

Julie

Leor said:
Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:

http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp

(This is actually in direct response to a private email I received from
"Julie", in which she asked for something more "online friendly".)
-leor

www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html

What kind of newsreader amateur am I? It should have been a (newsgroup) reply
to your post, not private -- sorry about that. Regardless, thanks for the
additional link.

My message was:

Leor said:
A draft of the C++ Standard may be legitimately downloaded from several
sources. Here's one:
http://people.msoe.edu/~sebern/resource/ansicpp/

The actual final version of the Standard is available for $18 in PDF format
here:

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC+14882-2003

-leor

Good links, but is there anything any better and more online friendly?
(Specifically, *not* a pdf -- pdf is a lousy online-document format, still it
persists...)

It sure would be nice to have a decent (and current/accurate) online version of
the standard. This is all that I've found (not that I've specifically been
looking), but it is missing large portions of the standard:

http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/

Dietmar Kuehl

Leor Zolman said:
Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:

http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp

Note, that this material is seriously out of date! You should not use
it for any purpose as most of the stuff is actually reworked. In particular,
you will get all the details wrong.

The only authorative document is the standard itself which is only available
as PDF. Well, that is, if you want an HTML-version, you would have to join
the standardization committee. Of course, the HTML-version is still not
authorative...

Julie

Dietmar said:
Note, that this material is seriously out of date! You should not use
it for any purpose as most of the stuff is actually reworked. In particular,
you will get all the details wrong.

The only authorative document is the standard itself which is only available
as PDF. Well, that is, if you want an HTML-version, you would have to join
the standardization committee. Of course, the HTML-version is still not
authorative...

Is there some reason that I'm missing as to why the standard isn't more freely
and liberally available, and in a better document format?

Buster

Julie said:
Is there some reason that I'm missing as to why the standard isn't more freely
and liberally available, and in a better document format?

The standard is freely available, it's just not available free. Perhaps
you've been spending too much time on the interweb. In the real world,
loads of stuff isn't free.

As for the document format, PDF is easy enough to use if you have good
enough tools. I split mine into three files, so that I can go directly
to the start of the index, and so that the file's page numbers match the
printed ones in the main body of the text. Searching is prohibitively
irritating but the index is very good.

What really annoys me is the poor quality of the typesetting where
different typefaces are mixed. Does everyone else have words beginning
before the ends of their predecessors? E.g., on page 15 where it should
say "Each preprocessing-op-or-punc is preceded by ..." I see something
like "Each preprocessing-op-or-pu&@% preceded by ..." instead.

Julie

Buster said:
The standard is freely available, it's just not available free. Perhaps
you've been spending too much time on the interweb. In the real world,
loads of stuff isn't free.

And in the real world as the 'interweb', loads of stuff is also free.
Regardless, although I have absolutely no idea why there is a fee to access a
'standard', the non-zero cost amount is irrelevant. Without a direct and
immediate publicly (net) available access to the standard, a lot of
standards-related discussions either deteriorate into hearsay, copied from some
net-available (usually out of date or non-standard source), or re-typed in by
hand. (I don't know if the standards PDF is select-copy protected or not.)

There is absolutely no way around the fact that charging for the document
stifles (net) discussion.
As for the document format, PDF is easy enough to use if you have good
enough tools. I split mine into three files, so that I can go directly
to the start of the index, and so that the file's page numbers match the
printed ones in the main body of the text. Searching is prohibitively
irritating but the index is very good.

PDF is a horrible online format. It takes the worst of the printed-page world
and forces it into the electronic world.

Buster

Julie said:
And in the real world as the 'interweb', loads of stuff is also free.
Regardless, although I have absolutely no idea why there is a fee to access a
'standard', the non-zero cost amount is irrelevant. Without a direct and
immediate publicly (net) available access to the standard, a lot of
standards-related discussions either deteriorate into hearsay, copied from some
net-available (usually out of date or non-standard source), or re-typed in by
hand. (I don't know if the standards PDF is select-copy protected or not.)

The standard is freely available for download. You can get yourself a
copy within a few minutes if you're concerned about the quality of your
standards-related discussion.

Leor Zolman

Is there some reason that I'm missing as to why the standard isn't more freely
and liberally available, and in a better document format?

I've asked this question to a Committee member myself, and the answer I got
was along the lines of, "The ISO organization is mostly concerned with
printed documents." The PDF /is/ the version that is printed, hence that's
all there is. I'm not happy about this, that's just the way it is.
Evidently ISO does not grant rights for anyone to do much of anything with
those documents except purchase the electronic PDF for personal use.
-leor