    ? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.

    thank for your answer.
    Heinquoi
    heinquoi, May 10, 2004

  2. heinquoi

    Leor Zolman Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:00:15 +0200, "heinquoi"
    <nospam*> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have some problemes with microsoft windows programming. Could you help me
    >? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.

    A draft of the C++ Standard may be legitimately downloaded from several
    sources. Here's one:
    http://people.msoe.edu/~sebern/resource/ansicpp/

    The actual final version of the Standard is available for $18 in PDF format
    here:

    http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003

    -leor

    www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html
    Leor Zolman, May 10, 2004

  3. heinquoi

    <nospam*> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have some problemes with microsoft windows programming. Could you help me
    >? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.
    >
    >thank for your answer.
    >Heinquoi

    Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:

    http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp

    (This is actually in direct response to a private email I received from
    "Julie", in which she asked for something more "online friendly".)

    Leor Zolman, May 10, 2004
  4. heinquoi

    Julie Guest

    Leor Zolman wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:00:15 +0200, "heinquoi"
    > <nospam*> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I have some problemes with microsoft windows programming. Could you help me
    > >? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.
    > >
    > >thank for your answer.
    > >Heinquoi

    > Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:
    >
    > http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp
    >
    > (This is actually in direct response to a private email I received from
    > "Julie", in which she asked for something more "online friendly".)
    > -leor
    >
    > --
    > Leor Zolman --- BD Software --- www.bdsoft.com
    > On-Site Training in C/C++, Java, Perl and Unix
    > C++ users: download BD Software's free STL Error Message Decryptor at:
    > www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html

    What kind of newsreader amateur am I? It should have been a (newsgroup) reply
    to your post, not private -- sorry about that. Regardless, thanks for the
    additional link.

    My message was:

    Leor Zolman wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:00:15 +0200, "heinquoi"
    > <nospam*> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I have some problemes with microsoft windows programming. Could you help me
    > >? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.

    > A draft of the C++ Standard may be legitimately downloaded from several
    > sources. Here's one:
    > http://people.msoe.edu/~sebern/resource/ansicpp/
    >
    > The actual final version of the Standard is available for $18 in PDF format
    > here:
    >
    > http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003
    >
    > -leor

    Good links, but is there anything any better and more online friendly?
    (Specifically, *not* a pdf -- pdf is a lousy online-document format, still it
    persists...)

    It sure would be nice to have a decent (and current/accurate) online version of
    the standard. This is all that I've found (not that I've specifically been
    looking), but it is missing large portions of the standard:

    http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/
    Julie, May 10, 2004
  5. Leor Zolman <> wrote:
    > Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:
    >
    > http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp

    Note, that this material is seriously out of date! You should not use
    it for any purpose as most of the stuff is actually reworked. In particular,
    you will get all the details wrong.

    The only authorative document is the standard itself which is only available
    as PDF. Well, that is, if you want an HTML-version, you would have to join
    the standardization committee. Of course, the HTML-version is still not
    authorative...
    Dietmar Kuehl, May 11, 2004
  6. Leor Zolman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:00:15 +0200, "heinquoi"
    > <nospam*> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I have some problemes with microsoft windows programming. Could you help me
    > >? I would the URL of the C++ last standart.

    > A draft of the C++ Standard may be legitimately downloaded from several
    > sources. Here's one:
    > http://people.msoe.edu/~sebern/resource/ansicpp/

    That's a 1996 version. It misses quite a lot, especially since
    the 2003 update.

    Let me point out again that $18 is not much, and today that's
    only 15 euro.

    Regards,
    Michiel Salters
    Michiel Salters, May 11, 2004
  7. heinquoi

    Julie Guest

    Dietmar Kuehl wrote:

    > Leor Zolman <> wrote:
    > > Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:
    > >
    > > http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp

    > Note, that this material is seriously out of date! You should not use
    > it for any purpose as most of the stuff is actually reworked. In particular,
    > you will get all the details wrong.
    >
    > The only authorative document is the standard itself which is only available
    > as PDF. Well, that is, if you want an HTML-version, you would have to join
    > the standardization committee. Of course, the HTML-version is still not
    > authorative...

    Is there some reason that I'm missing as to why the standard isn't more freely
    and liberally available, and in a better document format?
    Julie, May 11, 2004
  8. heinquoi

    Buster Guest

    Julie wrote:

    > Is there some reason that I'm missing as to why the standard isn't more freely
    > and liberally available, and in a better document format?

    The standard is freely available, it's just not available free. Perhaps
    you've been spending too much time on the interweb. In the real world,
    loads of stuff isn't free.

    As for the document format, PDF is easy enough to use if you have good
    enough tools. I split mine into three files, so that I can go directly
    to the start of the index, and so that the file's page numbers match the
    printed ones in the main body of the text. Searching is prohibitively
    irritating but the index is very good.

    What really annoys me is the poor quality of the typesetting where
    different typefaces are mixed. Does everyone else have words beginning
    before the ends of their predecessors? E.g., on page 15 where it should
    say "Each preprocessing-op-or-punc is preceded by ..." I see something
    like "Each preprocessing-op-or-pu&@% preceded by ..." instead.

    --
    Regards,
    Buster.
    Buster, May 11, 2004
  9. heinquoi

    Julie Guest

    Buster wrote:

    > Julie wrote:
    >
    > > Is there some reason that I'm missing as to why the standard isn't more freely
    > > and liberally available, and in a better document format?

    > The standard is freely available, it's just not available free. Perhaps
    > you've been spending too much time on the interweb. In the real world,
    > loads of stuff isn't free.

    And in the real world as the 'interweb', loads of stuff is also free.
    Regardless, although I have absolutely no idea why there is a fee to access a
    'standard', the non-zero cost amount is irrelevant. Without a direct and
    immediate publicly (net) available access to the standard, a lot of
    standards-related discussions either deteriorate into hearsay, copied from some
    net-available (usually out of date or non-standard source), or re-typed in by
    hand. (I don't know if the standards PDF is select-copy protected or not.)

    There is absolutely no way around the fact that charging for the document
    stifles (net) discussion.

    > As for the document format, PDF is easy enough to use if you have good
    > enough tools. I split mine into three files, so that I can go directly
    > to the start of the index, and so that the file's page numbers match the
    > printed ones in the main body of the text. Searching is prohibitively
    > irritating but the index is very good.

    PDF is a horrible online format. It takes the worst of the printed-page world
    and forces it into the electronic world.
    Julie, May 11, 2004
  10. heinquoi

    Buster Guest

    Julie wrote:

    > And in the real world as the 'interweb', loads of stuff is also free.
    > Regardless, although I have absolutely no idea why there is a fee to access a
    > 'standard', the non-zero cost amount is irrelevant. Without a direct and
    > immediate publicly (net) available access to the standard, a lot of
    > standards-related discussions either deteriorate into hearsay, copied from some
    > net-available (usually out of date or non-standard source), or re-typed in by
    > hand. (I don't know if the standards PDF is select-copy protected or not.)

    The standard is freely available for download. You can get yourself a
    copy within a few minutes if you're concerned about the quality of your

    Buster, May 11, 2004
  11. heinquoi

    Leor Zolman Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:37:30 -0700, Julie <> wrote:

    >Dietmar Kuehl wrote:
    >>
    >> Leor Zolman <> wrote:
    >> > Also, I found a browsable version of the Draft C++ Standard here:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/ANSI-cpp-dec96/index.asp

    >> Note, that this material is seriously out of date! You should not use
    >> it for any purpose as most of the stuff is actually reworked. In particular,
    >> you will get all the details wrong.
    >>
    >> The only authorative document is the standard itself which is only available
    >> as PDF. Well, that is, if you want an HTML-version, you would have to join
    >> the standardization committee. Of course, the HTML-version is still not
    >> authorative...

    >Is there some reason that I'm missing as to why the standard isn't more freely
    >and liberally available, and in a better document format?

    I've asked this question to a Committee member myself, and the answer I got
    was along the lines of, "The ISO organization is mostly concerned with
    printed documents." The PDF /is/ the version that is printed, hence that's
    all there is. I'm not happy about this, that's just the way it is.
    Evidently ISO does not grant rights for anyone to do much of anything with
    those documents except purchase the electronic PDF for personal use.

    Leor Zolman, May 11, 2004