    SO I am guessing it stops when there is a space in the name. Is there some
    way to get around this??
    Jeff
    Jeff, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Why not just disallow spaces to begin with, and avoid the problems?

    You may be able to put the name in [] - [The Island]. But, that's a crappy
    way of doing things and will result in more headaches than it's worth.

    Bob.

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Ok. I am creating a table in an access DB based on a form submission. This
    > works fine. The problem I am having is, if there is a space in the
    > submission. For example.... someone submits "The Island"
    > when the asp script uses SQL to create the DB, it creates it as "The"

    only.

    Bob Lehmann, Jul 31, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have a captain on my team that picks the future courses that we play.
    After he picks them, they display on a course listing page. It would look
    pretty crappy for courses to look like "The_Island" or TheIsland"

    I figured out I could use a replace for this... such as:

    variable = Replace(Request.Form("course") , " ", "_")

    Thx
    Jeff

    Jeff, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Think "outside the box". There is no reason that the text displayed on the
    page has to match the database object names ...

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 31, 2004
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    LOL. i am trying to get better at that

    Jeff, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Jeff

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    uh, yeah. If you say so.

    What makes you think that the actual table name has to be displayed?

    I've followed your previous threads on this tournament database of yours,
    and you seem hellbent on employing bad practices - against the advice of
    people who know better -, creating problems, and then coming up with goofy
    work-arounds for the problems instead of fixing them.

    Why is that?

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Well... if you look at one of my last posts about that tourney DB, I did say
    that I changed to be like they instructed. I learned the hard way on that.
    The only other thing that I am doing different, is creating a folder with
    the tourney ID. But I am still learning this stuff, and yes.. I do have a
    hard head about somethings. But I usually end up doing what was requested. I
    guess I call it learning the hard way.

    Jeff, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Re: Create in access (Please stop chasing rabbits)

    And we still haven't answered the original question, which I believe is
    quite valid because there are instances where inserting values with
    spaces is warranted and NOT the symptom of a bad db design. (How many
    times have you seen a street address without spaces as in "5490 Willard
    Norris Road"?)

    I seem to recall encountering this problem before, but when I looked
    around my pages, I could find where I had the problem. Hopefully, I've
    gotten the thread back on track which at least should help you get the
    answer.

    David H

    David C. Holley, Aug 1, 2004
  9. Jeff

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Re: Create in access (Please stop chasing rabbits)

    We did answer the question - "Don't allow spaces in DB tablle names."!

    Allowing a DB to have table and column names with spaces IS bad design.

    The problem isn't with the value, but what it is being used for. There is a
    big difference between an Address and a DB Table name.

    Would you categorize ALLOWING alphas in a phone number column as bad data,
    or bad design?

    PS - The thread was never "off track". He made a bad design decision and was
    given alternatives to fix or kludge his *design*.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Aug 1, 2004
  10. Jeff

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    I guess you must get paid by the hour.

    Good luck with your learning the hard way.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Aug 1, 2004
  11. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Re: Create in access (Please stop chasing rabbits)

    Well. I use access DB for my stuff. And when you are looking at the tables..
    with the DB opened, if you right click a table and click save as.... it
    automatically gives you the option of " copy of tablename". and that itself
    has spaces in it. But anyway, I do understand what you mean my bad design.
    It makes things a lot easier without the spaces.
    Thanks again

    Jeff, Aug 1, 2004
  12. Jeff

    dlbjr Guest

    Re: Create in access (Please stop chasing rabbits)

    If by chance you turn on the system tables in an access database, you will find that your tables and
    queries in the MSysObjects table are just items in a system table. This is used to give your table
    name a unique ID. So the name you actually give it means nothing. This is how JET Ticks. This is
    built to allow names with spaces for boneheads.

    dlbjr
    Pleading sagacious indoctrination!
    dlbjr, Aug 1, 2004
  13. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Re: Create in access (Please stop chasing rabbits)

    Ahhh.. well, that explains a bunch. Well, I started learning this stuff on
    my own, been doing it for a short time. So all the advice you all give me
    does not go to waste.
    And it is much appreciated.
    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 1, 2004
  14. Re: Create in access (Please stop chasing rabbits)

    David C. Holley wrote:
    > And we still haven't answered the original question, which I believe
    > is
    > quite valid because there are instances where inserting values with
    > spaces is warranted and NOT the symptom of a bad db design. (How many
    > times have you seen a street address without spaces as in "5490
    > Willard Norris Road"?)

    David,
    I must respectfully disagree.
    The problem was not about inserting/displaying data with spaces: it was
    about the creation of database objects with spaces in their names. This
    question certainly was dealt with, and the OP did solve his problem.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 1, 2004
  15. Jeff

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Re: Create in access (Please stop chasing rabbits)

    PS - Who exactly is it that you seem to think is "chasing rabbits", Alice?

    Bob Lehmann, Aug 1, 2004