    as a standalone binary for Windows users.

    What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
    use?

    Poster28, Apr 16, 2009

  2. Poster28

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Poster28 <4ward.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
    > like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
    > as a standalone binary for Windows users.
    >
    > What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
    > use?

    http://www.py2exe.org/

    Cheers,
    Chris
    --
    I have a blog:
    http://blog.rebertia.com

    Chris Rebert, Apr 16, 2009

  3. Poster28

    Dave Angel Guest

    Poster28 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
    > like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
    > as a standalone binary for Windows users.
    >
    > What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
    > use?

    Easiest? Visual Basic, version 6. The executables it produces aren't
    really standalone, but the needed DLL's are generally shipped with Windows

    Of course, you're asking on a Python list, so presumably you prefer the
    Python programming model. In that case, you need to look at Py2exe.
    Others here have experience with it, and can advise you whether it's
    close enough for your needs. I do not think you'll get a single file on
    the user's machine, however.

    Dave Angel, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Poster28

    Poster28 Guest

    >> What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
    >> use?

    > http://www.py2exe.org/

    Will it work with any graphics library?

    Poster28, Apr 16, 2009
  5. Poster28

    norseman Guest

    Poster28 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
    > like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
    > as a standalone binary for Windows users.
    >
    > What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
    > use?

    ==============

    "as a standalone BINARY..."

    Assembly, C or your choice of compilable language. There are a number
    of graphic and raster libraries available from the net. Choose one you like.

    "like a chess board"
    Create the backdrop and embed it in your program and use the graphic (or
    raster) lib functions to send it to the screen. Be sure to up date the
    screen in proper sequence after each change to it. Last drawn goes on top.

    If you are moving something like chess-pieces, build an icon for each
    piece and change the cursor to the correct one during the move. Reduces
    the CPU cycles. Only start and end locations need screen updates.

    Steve

    norseman, Apr 16, 2009
  6. En Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:44:03 -0300, Poster28 <4ward.com>
    escribió:

    >>> What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I
    >>> should use?

    >> http://www.py2exe.org/

    > Will it work with any graphics library?

    It works with most "normal" modules, but some libraries require special
    measures. See the wiki on the site above for details.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, Apr 17, 2009
  7. Poster28

    edexter Guest

    On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Poster28 <4ward.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
    > like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
    > as a standalone binary for Windows users.
    >
    > What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
    > use?

    I recently tried pycap for that.. It is a game engine that has python
    embeded in it

    http://www.farbs.org/pycap.html

    It seems to work better with sprites than with the builtin rectangle
    command so I would try a black square picture and a white square
    picture but that might be just my code since there where just a couple
    examples available.

    http://dexrowem.blogspot.com/2009/04/pycap-drum-machine-or-piano-roll-beta.html

    edexter, Apr 17, 2009
  8. Poster28

    edexter Guest

    On Apr 17, 1:48 am, edexter <> wrote:
    > On Apr 16, 8:12 am, Poster28 <4ward.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
    > > like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
    > > as a standalone binary for Windows users.

    > > What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
    > > use?

    > I recently tried pycap for that..  It is a game engine that has python
    > embeded in it
    >
    > http://www.farbs.org/pycap.html
    >
    > It seems to work better with sprites than with the builtin rectangle
    > command so I would try a black square picture and a white square
    > picture but that might be just my code since there where just a couple
    > examples available.
    >
    > http://dexrowem.blogspot.com/2009/04/pycap-drum-machine-or-piano-roll...

    or you can just try pygame.. I am not sure what it takes to distrute
    just the python2.5 exe and a library like wxpython.. it seems to work
    but I am not sure if it is taking the python envirement on the
    installed version or go to the folder of the newly copied python
    2.5 .. seems like you would need a machine without python installed
    to know for sure..

    edexter, Apr 17, 2009
  9. Poster28

    Paul Rudin Guest

    Poster28 <4ward.com> writes:

    > I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
    > like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) ...

    2d or 3d graphics? You could start by looking at pygame and pyopengl.

    > ... and provide it as a standalone binary for Windows users.

    py2exe, althought this is a bit of a PITA. I'd get your game working
    first and worry about this aspect of the project last.

    Paul Rudin, Apr 17, 2009
  10. Poster28

    Poster28 Guest

    >> I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing
    >> something like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support)

    > 2d or 3d graphics? You could start by looking at pygame and pyopengl.

    2D Graphics.

    >> ... and provide it as a standalone binary for Windows users.

    > py2exe, althought this is a bit of a PITA. I'd get your game working
    > first and worry about this aspect of the project last.

    Luckily its more of a simulations - not meant to be nice looking or
    comfortable. I only need bitmaps positioned like a chess board and also
    some mouse support. Hope it will work :)

    Poster28, Apr 20, 2009