Create standalone Windows program with simple graphics?

Poster28

Hi,

I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
as a standalone binary for Windows users.

What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
use?

Chris Rebert

Hi,

I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
as a standalone binary for Windows users.

What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
use?

http://www.py2exe.org/

Cheers,
Chris

Dave Angel

Poster28 said:
Hi,

I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
as a standalone binary for Windows users.

What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
use?

Easiest? Visual Basic, version 6. The executables it produces aren't
really standalone, but the needed DLL's are generally shipped with Windows

Of course, you're asking on a Python list, so presumably you prefer the
Python programming model. In that case, you need to look at Py2exe.
Others here have experience with it, and can advise you whether it's
close enough for your needs. I do not think you'll get a single file on
the user's machine, however.

norseman

Poster28 said:
Hi,

I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
as a standalone binary for Windows users.

What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
use?
==============

"as a standalone BINARY..."

Assembly, C or your choice of compilable language. There are a number
of graphic and raster libraries available from the net. Choose one you like.

"like a chess board"
Create the backdrop and embed it in your program and use the graphic (or
raster) lib functions to send it to the screen. Be sure to up date the
screen in proper sequence after each change to it. Last drawn goes on top.

If you are moving something like chess-pieces, build an icon for each
piece and change the cursor to the correct one during the move. Reduces
the CPU cycles. Only start and end locations need screen updates.

Steve

Gabriel Genellina

Will it work with any graphics library?

It works with most "normal" modules, but some libraries require special
measures. See the wiki on the site above for details.

edexter

Hi,

I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) and provide it
as a standalone binary for Windows users.

What is the easiest way to do that? Which libraries or compilers I should
use?

I recently tried pycap for that.. It is a game engine that has python
embeded in it

http://www.farbs.org/pycap.html

It seems to work better with sprites than with the builtin rectangle
command so I would try a black square picture and a white square
picture but that might be just my code since there where just a couple
examples available.

http://dexrowem.blogspot.com/2009/04/pycap-drum-machine-or-piano-roll-beta.html

edexter

I recently tried pycap for that..  It is a game engine that has python
embeded in it

http://www.farbs.org/pycap.html

It seems to work better with sprites than with the builtin rectangle
command so I would try a black square picture and a white square
picture but that might be just my code since there where just a couple
examples available.

http://dexrowem.blogspot.com/2009/04/pycap-drum-machine-or-piano-roll...

or you can just try pygame.. I am not sure what it takes to distrute
just the python2.5 exe and a library like wxpython.. it seems to work
but I am not sure if it is taking the python envirement on the
installed version or go to the folder of the newly copied python
2.5 .. seems like you would need a machine without python installed
to know for sure..

Paul Rudin

I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing something
like a chess board, some numbers and buttons, mouse support) ...

2d or 3d graphics? You could start by looking at pygame and pyopengl.
... and provide it as a standalone binary for Windows users.

py2exe, althought this is a bit of a PITA. I'd get your game working
first and worry about this aspect of the project last.

Poster28

I'd like to program and compile a simple graphics program (showing
2d or 3d graphics? You could start by looking at pygame and pyopengl.
2D Graphics.
py2exe, althought this is a bit of a PITA. I'd get your game working
first and worry about this aspect of the project last.

Luckily its more of a simulations - not meant to be nice looking or
comfortable. I only need bitmaps positioned like a chess board and also
some mouse support. Hope it will work :)