create window on panel

Jimmy

Hi, all

I have been trying to use wxPython to design a GUI that will be
displayed on the panel on the top of desktop. that is when the
program starts, it will dwell on the panel to display some dynamic
information.

can anyone tell me in wxPython how to do this? thanks!

Laszlo Nagy

Jimmy said:
Hi, all

I have been trying to use wxPython to design a GUI that will be
displayed on the panel on the top of desktop. that is when the
program starts, it will dwell on the panel to display some dynamic
information.

can anyone tell me in wxPython how to do this? thanks!
AFAIK it cannot be done in pure wxPython. The reason is that your
"panel" is part of the window manager. What kind of "panel" are you
talking about anyway? Under Microsoft Windows it is called "the tray".
In Gnome it is "panel" indeed. In KDE it might also be panel, there is
OS X etc. They are quite different. For example, under MS Windows you
cannot embed an application into the tray (other than an icon).

They are all different window managers, based on different client libs
(MS gui, GTK, Qt etc.). wxPython is designed to be platform independent,
and it does not support special, platform dependent features. (Well it
does a few...)

You need to tell us what kind of system are you using? Then we can tell
you where to start. For example, there are extension modules for writing
Gnome panel applications. (Well, it is not wxPython but GTK.)

BTW the idea is good: we could have "panel" support in wxPython, but
since the interface of these panels (and how they should be programmed)
is very different on different platforms, it would not be easy to implement.

Laszlo

Jimmy

[...]

Thanks for your reply!

I am using Linux+gnome. Actually, what I want is simply a text-region
on the panel
and display some dynamic information on it. Is it hard to do it ?

Laszlo Nagy

Thanks for your reply!

I am using Linux+gnome. Actually, what I want is simply a text-region
on the panel
and display some dynamic information on it. Is it hard to do it ?
Google is your friend! I searched for "gnome python panel" and the first
hit was:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2000/07/25/gnome_applet.html

:)

Of course it is out of date but you can see that there is something
called "/PyGNOME".
/
The package names on my Linux:

python-gnome2 python-gnome2-desktop python-gnome2-extras python-gnomecanvas

Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment
This archive contains modules that allow you to write GNOME programs
in Python. This package contains the bindings for the new version 2.0
of that desktop environment.

/
/It should be easy to read the docs, view the demo programs and create
your own program.

Jimmy

URL:http://www.daa.com.au/~james/software/pygtk/
/
/It should be easy to read the docs, view the demo programs and create
your own program.

thanks~ it seems attractive, however, I did not find much useful
information :(