createElement applet and Opera 7

Tormod Omholt-Jensen

Ï need to dynamically insert an applet into a document. In IE 6.0 my code
works fine, but there seems to be problems in Opera 7. The page looks
like there is allocated space for an applet. Printing the size of the
document.applets array return as expected 0 before the insertion, and 1
after, in both Opera 7 and IE. However, the applet does not init properly
(no painting).

Anyone?

Regards Tormod Omholt-Jensen

------------------- C O D E -----------------

<script language="JavaScript1.2">

var applet = document.createElement("applet");
applet.code = "MyApplet.class";
applet.height = "50";
applet.width = "50";
applet.defer = true;

document.body.appendChild(applet);

</script>

Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

Hi,
Ï need to dynamically insert an applet into a document. In IE 6.0 my code
works fine, but there seems to be problems in Opera 7. The page looks
like there is allocated space for an applet. Printing the size of the
document.applets array return as expected 0 before the insertion, and 1
after, in both Opera 7 and IE. However, the applet does not init properly
(no painting).

Anyone?

Regards Tormod Omholt-Jensen

------------------- C O D E -----------------

<script language="JavaScript1.2">

var applet = document.createElement("applet");
applet.code = "MyApplet.class";
applet.height = "50";
applet.width = "50";
applet.defer = true;

document.body.appendChild(applet);

</script>

Wild guess here: To correctly start an applet, two methods are called
automatically by the browser: init() and start().

init() is called once only, when the applet is created.
start() is called every time that the applet is started, for example
when the page is reloaded.

These two methods can be overloaded by your own applet. I suspect that
they are called in IE but not in Opera. What you can do is overload
init() and start() so that a message is sent to the Java console when
they are executed. Like this you can check if they are called correctly.

HTH,

Laurent