    help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    may only have ten.

    Zachary, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Zachary

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Zachary wrote:
    > Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    > lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    > order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    > contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    > order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    > help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    > the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    > may only have ten.

    What have you tried so far? How did it fail to meet your expectations?
    What error messages did you recieve, or faulty output resulted?

    Please post a short-but-complete script that demonstrates your errors.
    Please also read the Posting Guidelines for similar good advice.

    If you have not yet even made an attempt, please do so. If you have no
    idea where to begin, please provide actual concrete questions about how
    to accomplish the specific tasks that confuse you, rather than a
    posting that amounts to "I want a program that does <foo>."

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Zachary

    Zachary Guest

    Why did you even reply? I work at UPS and I'm attemting to change
    positions. The new position requires that I learn a ton of zip codes
    so that I'll know where to send the packages in the buiding so I
    figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone ( do some programming and
    learn the zips ). I'm working on an application that I can use to test
    myself. I'm also currently working through the "Learning Perl" and
    "Programming Perl" books. It's just a hobby. I'm not a student trying
    to cheat I just don't know how to accomplish the task above. So far
    I'm just randomly picking a filehandle, plucking a line off the top,
    and comparing with my answer until I reach EOF on each filehandle. The
    problem with that is nothing varies.

    Sorry if posted to the wrong group but you should just pass it on by if
    you don't know the answer. I'm sure someone will help eventually or I
    might even figure it out on my own. If you want to be a teacher, make
    that your profession. If you just want to be an *sshole then keep up
    the good work.

    Zachary

    Zachary, Apr 18, 2006
  4. Zachary

    Guest

    "Zachary" <> wrote:
    > Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    > lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    > order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    > contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    > order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    > help me accomplish this?

    If all the data fits in memory, then read all the data (for example,
    "cat file[1-7].txt |"), shuffle it (List::Util) and write it back out.

    If not, add a column containing a random number, sort (using
    OS tools) on this column, and remove the extra column.

    > Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    > the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    > may only have ten.

    No problem.

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Apr 18, 2006
  5. "Zachary" <> writes:
    > Why did you even reply?

    I'm not Paul, but I can answer this one: to help you ask questions
    that will get answers. We have Posting Guidelines (which are posted
    here regularly) for a reason: following them will get you more answers
    of higher quality, to you questions. Paul stated only a few of the
    more important ones.

    > So far I'm just randomly picking a filehandle, plucking a line off
    > the top, and comparing with my answer until I reach EOF on each
    > filehandle. The problem with that is nothing varies.

    Show us some code, please. We could make all sorts of completely
    impractical suggestions if we don't know what your code looks like.
    If you actually give us some, we will not only be able to come up with
    the best solution given what you have already, we will also be able to
    show you where you went wrong. Of course, we don't really need to see
    all 1500 lines of your program, so please isolate it into a small
    program that we can paste into an editor and run ourselves.

    > Sorry if posted to the wrong group but you should just pass it on by if
    > you don't know the answer.

    I assure you, Paul does in fact know the answer, or at least, *an*
    answer. So do I, for that matter. But, while neither of us is keen
    to see CLPM turn into an unpaid consultancy, we are more than happy to
    help someone who has demonstrated that they have actually made some
    effort on their own. Also, I'm not particularly keen to take the
    somewhat ambiguous text description you gave, and try to turn it into
    code. Remember-- you're the one with the problem; it's your job to
    present it in such a way that it's as easy as possible for us to help
    you with it.

    > I'm sure someone will help eventually or I
    > might even figure it out on my own. If you want to be a teacher, make
    > that your profession. If you just want to be an *sshole then keep up
    > the good work.

    If you want to be ignored by the people who are best able to help you,
    by all means, continue to call them "*sshole"s. If you want help from
    smart people who will be able to help you become a better Perl
    programmer, then read the Posting Guidelines, and follow them.

    -=Eric

    Eric Schwartz, Apr 18, 2006
  6. Zachary wrote:
    > Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    > lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    > order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    > contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    > order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    > help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    > the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    > may only have ten.

    something like this should work...

    #/usr/bin/perl -w

    @files = qw( file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt ); # etc.
    open OUT,">file8.txt";

    @lines = ();

    for (@files) {
    open F,$_;
    while (<F>) { push @lines,$_ }
    };

    while ($#lines > -1) {
    $i = int(rand($#lines+1));
    ($_) = splice(@lines,$i,1);
    print OUT;
    };

    David Lee Lambert, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Zachary

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Zachary <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Why did you even reply?

    To give you a chance to make a posting that shows some code we can help
    you with.

    > I work at UPS and I'm attemting to change
    > positions. The new position requires that I learn a ton of zip codes
    > so that I'll know where to send the packages in the buiding so I
    > figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone ( do some programming and
    > learn the zips ). I'm working on an application that I can use to test
    > myself. I'm also currently working through the "Learning Perl" and
    > "Programming Perl" books. It's just a hobby. I'm not a student trying
    > to cheat I just don't know how to accomplish the task above.

    That is all mildly interesting, but does nothing to validate your
    question. We help people correct their Perl programs. You are in
    a stage of problem solving that isn't (yet) language-specific. That you
    intend to implement a solution in Perl doesn't make it a Perl problem.

    > So far
    > I'm just randomly picking a filehandle, plucking a line off the top,
    > and comparing with my answer until I reach EOF on each filehandle. The
    > problem with that is nothing varies.

    Read all the files in a big array. Select a random line from the
    array each time through. Seems like that's all there's to it.

    > Sorry if posted to the wrong group but you should just pass it on by if
    > you don't know the answer.

    It's not a question of knowing. Many of us earn their money by writing
    Perl programs to specification. It would be bad for the market if we
    did it here for free.

    > I'm sure someone will help eventually or I
    > might even figure it out on my own. If you want to be a teacher, make
    > that your profession. If you just want to be an *sshole then keep up
    > the good work.

    You seem to be of the insult-them-until-they-help-me school of belief.
    They don't last long...

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Zachary

    robic0 Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 12:47:25 -0700, "Zachary" <> wrote:

    >Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    >lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    >order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    >contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    >order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    >help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    >the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    >may only have ten.

    This implies making infinite file8's. It also implies that you can
    bring all of files 1-7 into memory before writing file8.
    If you can do that why make random files, just do it in memory.

    Combine all the files into 1 sequentially then never change it.
    In a loop, read all the lines into an array. Create a random
    function that only works on the bounds of the array element numbers.
    Call it to get the next random index. Do whaterver you want with each string....
    Jeezzzzzzzzz

    robic0, Apr 18, 2006
  9. Zachary

    robic0 Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:53:35 -0400, David Lee Lambert <> wrote:

    [top post for bozo:]
    Please don't attach vcf's or anything else on this newsgroup!!!!!!!!
    I see a greenie in Agent and it just drives me nuts.......

    robic0, Apr 18, 2006
  10. Zachary

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Zachary wrote:
    > Why did you even reply?

    On the miniscule hope that you might have actually wanted *help*, as
    you stated, instead of someone to write your program for you. It is
    disheartening to see that I was wrong.

    > I work at UPS and I'm attemting to change
    > positions. The new position requires that I learn a ton of zip codes
    > so that I'll know where to send the packages in the buiding so I
    > figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone ( do some programming and
    > learn the zips ). I'm working on an application that I can use to test
    > myself.

    I'm confused as to the relevance of any of this. None of it transforms
    this newsgroup from one that assists people in writing and debugging
    their programs to one that writes code for you.

    > I'm also currently working through the "Learning Perl" and
    > "Programming Perl" books.

    Excellent. Good for you. Seriously.

    > It's just a hobby.

    uh-huh.... and so when you have a hobby, you don't actually *try to
    accomplish* anything relating to that hobby? You just tell people you
    want something done until they do it for you? If carpentry were your
    hobby, would you go around asking people to build you a birdhouse? Or
    would you try to build a birdhouse and then ask for assistance in the
    proper usage of a hammer?

    > I'm not a student trying to cheat

    Well, good, because bluntly asking people to do your work for you would
    make you *really* bad at cheating.

    > I just don't know how to accomplish the task above.

    Right. Which is why I very specifically asked you to tell us what your
    best guess was, to show us that you'd actually *attempted* to solve
    your problem on your own, or to at the very least tell us what specific
    parts were confusing you.

    > So far
    > I'm just randomly picking a filehandle, plucking a line off the top,
    > and comparing with my answer

    What is "your answer"? You never mentioned anything about an "answer"
    in your original post.

    > until I reach EOF on each filehandle. The
    > problem with that is nothing varies.

    If you actually are "randomly" picking a filehandle, as you said, than
    absolutely something varies. One of your last two statements is in
    error. Without any code (have you read the Posting Guidelines yet,
    also as I suggested?) it's impossible to know which one it is.

    > Sorry if posted to the wrong group

    That depends on what you want. If you want someone to write code for
    you, yes you posted to the wrong group (try jobs.perl.org - you may
    have better luck there). If you want assistance writing/debugging your
    own code, you're in the right place.

    > but you should just pass it on by if you don't know the answer.

    This actually made me laugh. Thank you. What part of my post in any
    way implied that *I* didn't know the answer? Or is this some bizarre
    reverse psychology intended to get me to show my superiority by posting
    the answer for you?

    > I'm sure someone will help eventually

    Yes. "Someone" already has. I did. I think what you mean is "I'm
    sure someone will write the program for me eventually." And frankly, I
    think that's a distinct possibility. More's the pity.

    > or I might even figure it out on my own.

    And if that happens, I will be among the first to congratulate you.

    > If you want to be a teacher, make that your profession.

    As a matter of fact, it is. Thanks for noticing.

    > If you just want to be an *sshole then keep up the good work.

    Oh, I don't need your encouragement for that. It comes pretty
    naturally.

    Your main problem with my response is in the arrogant belief that I
    responded for your benefit and yours alone. I did not. I posted my
    response to remind all future posters reading the archives of this
    group that one should always make an attempt to help themselves before
    asking thousands of people around the world to do it for them.

    Fare thee well,
    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Apr 18, 2006
  11. Zachary

    Paul Lalli Guest

    robic0 wrote:
    > In a loop, read all the lines into an array.

    Why would you ever do that? Why not simply read the file into an array
    directly, by using the readline operator in list context? If you've
    already resigned yourself to storing the entire file(s) in memory,
    seems pointless to spend cycles looping through the file...

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Apr 18, 2006
  12. Zachary

    robic0 Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 20:54:35 GMT, -berlin.de (Anno Siegel) wrote:

    >Zachary <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> Why did you even reply?

    >To give you a chance to make a posting that shows some code we can help
    >you with.
    >
    >> I work at UPS and I'm attemting to change
    >> positions. The new position requires that I learn a ton of zip codes
    >> so that I'll know where to send the packages in the buiding so I
    >> figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone ( do some programming and
    >> learn the zips ). I'm working on an application that I can use to test
    >> myself. I'm also currently working through the "Learning Perl" and
    >> "Programming Perl" books. It's just a hobby. I'm not a student trying
    >> to cheat I just don't know how to accomplish the task above.

    >That is all mildly interesting, but does nothing to validate your
    >question. We help people correct their Perl programs. You are in
    >a stage of problem solving that isn't (yet) language-specific. That you
    >intend to implement a solution in Perl doesn't make it a Perl problem.
    >
    >> So far
    >> I'm just randomly picking a filehandle, plucking a line off the top,
    >> and comparing with my answer until I reach EOF on each filehandle. The
    >> problem with that is nothing varies.

    >Read all the files in a big array. Select a random line from the
    >array each time through. Seems like that's all there's to it.
    >
    >> Sorry if posted to the wrong group but you should just pass it on by if
    >> you don't know the answer.

    >It's not a question of knowing. Many of us earn their money by writing
    >Perl programs to specification. It would be bad for the market if we
    >did it here for free.
    >
    >> I'm sure someone will help eventually or I
    >> might even figure it out on my own. If you want to be a teacher, make
    >> that your profession. If you just want to be an *sshole then keep up
    >> the good work.

    >You seem to be of the insult-them-until-they-help-me school of belief.
    >They don't last long...
    >
    >Anno

    The OP made a half-hearted effort, couldn't quite cover his *I don't really
    know what I'm trying to do*. When he's serious, that kind of aggresion will
    turn to accertiveness and surely help him. Your response will definetly push
    him in the right direction technically. Just remember Anno, your producing
    another Charles Manson programming god...

    robic0, Apr 18, 2006
  13. Zachary

    robic0 Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 14:44:38 -0700, "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:

    >robic0 wrote:
    >> In a loop, read all the lines into an array.

    >Why would you ever do that? Why not simply read the file into an array
    >directly, by using the readline operator in list context? If you've
    >already resigned yourself to storing the entire file(s) in memory,
    >seems pointless to spend cycles looping through the file...
    >
    >Paul Lalli

    Yeh, thats what I meant. I thought this was an original post, didn't know it was
    a thread. Didn't think he was technical enough to understand, or anyone else would respond.
    My bad......

    robic0, Apr 18, 2006
  14. Zachary

    Guest

    Zachary wrote:
    > [a question]

    This question was multi-posted to perl.beginners (and maybe other
    groups). That shows remarkable lack of nettiquite (or deliberate
    rudeness on the part of the OP).

    --
    http://DavidFilmer.com

    , Apr 18, 2006
  15. "Zachary" <> wrote in news:1145392234.672076.58990
    @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > If you just want to be an *sshole then keep up
    > the good work.

    Following your own advice? Bye.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 18, 2006
  16. Zachary

    Harry Guest

    Zachary wrote:
    > Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    > lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    > order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    > contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    > order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    > help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    > the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    > may only have ten.

    Don't re-invent the wheel :)

    Google "randomize text file" will point you to here, which
    co-incidently, is a Perl script.

    Random Text Version 1.0
    http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/programming/cgi/text/rand_text/index.shtml

    Harry, Apr 18, 2006
  17. Zachary

    robic0 Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 15:35:40 -0700, "Harry" <> wrote:

    >Zachary wrote:
    >> Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    >> lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    >> order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    >> contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    >> order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    >> help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    >> the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    >> may only have ten.

    >Don't re-invent the wheel :)
    >
    >Google "randomize text file" will point you to here, which
    >co-incidently, is a Perl script.
    >
    >Random Text Version 1.0
    >http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/programming/cgi/text/rand_text/index.shtml

    Post it, explain it, don't talk about 'wheels'.
    Either the files can be read, or seek positions into a array in memory or not. Rand has
    nothing at all to do with it. Randomize 7 120gig files for me........

    robic0, Apr 18, 2006
  18. Harry wrote:
    > Zachary wrote:
    >>Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    >>lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    >>order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    >>contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    >>order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    >>help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    >>the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    >>may only have ten.

    > Don't re-invent the wheel :)
    >
    > Google "randomize text file" will point you to here, which
    > co-incidently, is a Perl script.
    >
    > Random Text Version 1.0
    > http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/programming/cgi/text/rand_text/index.shtml

    Wow, you must be a brave little coder, posting a Perl4 Matt Wright script
    here. And one that only prints a single line from a file instead of
    randomising the entire file. :)

    John
    --
    use Perl;
    program

    John W. Krahn, Apr 18, 2006
  19. Zachary

    robic0 Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:53:01 GMT, "John W. Krahn" <> wrote:

    >Harry wrote:
    >> Zachary wrote:
    >>>Say I've got 7 files ( file1.txt - file7.txt) and I want to combine the
    >>>lines from all 7 files into one file (file8.txt) but I want the line
    >>>order to be randomly mixed. In other words, I want file8.txt to
    >>>contain all the lines from file1.txt through file7.txt but in random
    >>>order so that each pass produces a different file8.txt. Might someone
    >>>help me accomplish this? Keep in mind that files 1-7 may not contain
    >>>the same number of lines. One may have a hundred lines wile the other
    >>>may only have ten.

    >> Don't re-invent the wheel :)
    >>
    >> Google "randomize text file" will point you to here, which
    >> co-incidently, is a Perl script.
    >>
    >> Random Text Version 1.0
    >> http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/programming/cgi/text/rand_text/index.shtml

    >Wow, you must be a brave little coder, posting a Perl4 Matt Wright script
    >here. And one that only prints a single line from a file instead of
    >randomising the entire file. :)
    >

    >John

    You know, actually you could cat all the files into one (no matter how big).
    Given the number of lines in the file, using Tie::File or something, you
    could get a randome number between 0..last line, then print it out.
    I guess..

    robic0, Apr 19, 2006
  20. Zachary

    robic0 Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:01:10 -0700, robic0 wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:53:01 GMT, "John W. Krahn" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Harry wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Don't re-invent the wheel :)
    >>>
    >>> Google "randomize text file" will point you to here, which
    >>> co-incidently, is a Perl script.
    >>>
    >>> Random Text Version 1.0
    >>> http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/programming/cgi/text/rand_text/index.shtml

    >>Wow, you must be a brave little coder, posting a Perl4 Matt Wright script
    >>here. And one that only prints a single line from a file instead of
    >>randomising the entire file. :)
    >>

    >>John

    >You know, actually you could cat all the files into one (no matter how big).
    >Given the number of lines in the file, using Tie::File or something, you
    >could get a randome number between 0..last line, then print it out.
    >I guess..

    But hey, the file cat wouldn't seem to be the point (as the subject suggests).
    Though for efficiency, why cat files? A random file(/lines) ([filex,lines]) index
    is obtained, then the line index is randomized. Does randomize know file numbers?
    How many files you need for a good statistical spread? The more the better.
    Then Tie::File, rinse, repeat...

    robic0, Apr 19, 2006