Creating a 24-bit PNG with binary transparency?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Leif K-Brooks, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG
    (24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary
    transparency? According to what I've read, this is supported by the
    format and will work in IE, but I haven't been able to find any
    information on how it's done.
    Leif K-Brooks, Apr 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Leif K-Brooks

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Leif K-Brooks
    finally proclaimed:

    > Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG
    > (24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary
    > transparency?


    I thought you could only have 24-bit with alpha transparency, and 8-bit
    with binary transparency? Photoshop certainly does allow me to use
    24-bit PNG files with binary transparency.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://electricfreedom.org -- Where the Music Progressively Rocks!
    Dylan Parry, Apr 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Leif K-Brooks

    NullBock Guest

    I'm not familiar with PNG transparency, but if it can be done, then the
    Gimp can do it. Here's the website: http://gimp.org/.

    The Gimp is a free, open-source, multi-platform image editor. The
    learning curve is fairly high when first starting out, but it really is
    a great tool.

    Walter
    ----
    Walter Gildersleeve
    Freiburg, Germany

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could
    produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet,
    we know that is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

    ______________________________________________________
    http://linkfrog.net
    URL Shortening
    Free and easy, small and green.
    NullBock, Apr 28, 2006
    #3
  4. Leif K-Brooks

    Jim Higson Guest

    NullBock wrote:

    > I'm not familiar with PNG transparency, but if it can be done, then the
    > Gimp can do it. Here's the website: http://gimp.org/.


    There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
    start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
    colour, gamma correction.

    If you want an open-source editor that can do these things, try Krita.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Apr 28, 2006
    #4
  5. Leif K-Brooks

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
    > start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
    > colour, gamma correction.


    GIMP can do indexed images with transparency -- just reduce the colour
    depth of the image to 255 colours or less.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Apr 28, 2006
    #5
  6. Leif K-Brooks

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > According to what I've read, this is supported by the format and will
    > work in IE


    Just use the Image ALpha Loader thingy.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Apr 28, 2006
    #6
  7. Leif K-Brooks

    Jim Higson Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote:
    >
    >> There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
    >> start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
    >> colour, gamma correction.

    >
    > GIMP can do indexed images with transparency -- just reduce the colour
    > depth of the image to 255 colours or less.


    Not variable transparency. At least, you can edit it if you don't mind not
    being able to see what you're editing!

    see this bug report:
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86627

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Apr 29, 2006
    #7
  8. Leif K-Brooks

    Froggy

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Found the tool

    Faced the same problem. If anyone is still interested, I've managed to find the tool - Pixelformer (it is basically an icon/bitmap editor). Just select RGB (24 bit) as the target format and export your image to PNG.
    Froggy, Jul 20, 2009
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,612
  2. Jens Lenge

    PNG graphics transparency

    Jens Lenge, Oct 12, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    425
    Jeffrey Silverman
    Oct 15, 2004
  3. Caleb Hattingh
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,048
    Caleb Hattingh
    Dec 1, 2004
  4. Robin Becker

    png transparency with PIL

    Robin Becker, Nov 23, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    415
    Robin Becker
    Nov 23, 2007
  5. Jeff

    PNG transparency support

    Jeff, Feb 16, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    613
    Raymond SCHMIT
    Mar 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page