    how much to divide the clock by.

    Thank you very much for your help...

    , Nov 23, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > If I use the board clock, will it run at 50Mhz as specified in the
    > manual or will it run at the "maximum operating frequency" as specified
    > in the synthesis report? This is necessary to know in order to know
    > how much to divide the clock by.

    A 50MHz clock source will run at 50MHz.

    The maximum operating frequency is the maximum frequency at which your
    design will theoretically run in that piece of silicon.

    You need a counter to divide down your clock. For a fully synchronous
    design, you will actually be creating a 'clock enable' rather than a
    clock signal - there's a difference, and it'll only be active for 1
    50MHz period, not 50% duty cycle.

    If your counter is too large (i.e. you need to wait a long time) you may
    need to pipeline it to speed up your design.

    Regards,

    --
    Mark McDougall, Engineer
    21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

    Mark McDougall, Nov 23, 2006

  3. wallge Guest

    If you are using an altera device,
    just instantiate a phased locked loop mega function
    via the mega function wizard in quartus II.
    The GUI will guide you through the process
    you specify input clock speed,
    and the number and frequency of output clocks.
    After you're done running through the wizard,
    simply instantiate the PLL component in your VHDL
    design and connect clock signals to it as appropriate.

    If you are using xilinx, the tool for generating useful components
    is called core-gen, and has similar functionality to the altera tool.

    wallge, Nov 27, 2006
  4. vipinlal

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2010
    Messages:
    38
    'wait for' statement is useless when it comes to synthesize.you can actually use a mod-n counter for generating a delay.
    vhdlguru.blogspot.com/2010/03/synthesizable-delay-generator-instead.html

    vipinlal, Mar 4, 2010