Creating a running tally/ definitely new to this

gratedmedia

I currently working on a game, where I need to maintain a running tally of money, as the player makes purchases as they navigate thru game. I not exactly sure how to do this in python. I know it is a fairly basic step, nonetheless. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua Landau

I currently working on a game, where I need to maintain a running tally of
money, as the player makes purchases as they navigate thru game. I not
exactly sure how to do this in python. I know it is a fairly basic step,
nonetheless. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand correctly you want to store the amount of money in a
variable as a number that can be changed from many places within the code.

Say you have:

money = 0

def do_some_adventuring():
... # Add some money

You can "add some money" with:

global money # Allow changing money from within the function
money += 10 # for example

Is that it?

Dave Angel

I currently working on a game, where I need to maintain a running tally of money, as the player makes purchases as they navigate thru game. I not exactly sure how to do this in python. I know it is a fairly basic step, nonetheless. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(just to save you the pain later:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython
)

So what have you written so far? Is this a homework assignment and
you've been covering certain parts of Python in a certain order? Is it
part of learning some tutorial?

There are so many ways of accomplishing this sort of thing, that without
some constraints, there are a dozen reasonable responses. I'll try one:

in the class Player, you make a pair of methods, purchase() and
income(), which manipulate the instance attribute assets. Then you
make a property that returns the assets.

Class Player:
def purchase(self, amount):
self.assets -= amount
def income(self, amount):
self.assets += amount
def wealth(self):
return self.assets

gratedmedia

Yes I want to store an amount of money which will change from many places within the code. Absolutely correct. I am very "green" to this, if you're familiar, with "dopewars" the concept is very similar.

for my practice trials I used.. selection_b = input()

and manually input an amount of money, and used a loop of:

loop = 1
while loop < 5:

just to get a feel of how it would work but, every time I travel to a new destination and buy something the amount of money is reset. And I am workingto prevent this so that I can maintain a running tally until the loop is complete.

gratedmedia

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

(just to save you the pain later:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython

)

So what have you written so far? Is this a homework assignment and

you've been covering certain parts of Python in a certain order? Is it

part of learning some tutorial?

There are so many ways of accomplishing this sort of thing, that without

some constraints, there are a dozen reasonable responses. I'll try one:

in the class Player, you make a pair of methods, purchase() and

income(), which manipulate the instance attribute assets. Then you

make a property that returns the assets.

Class Player:

def purchase(self, amount):

self.assets -= amount

def income(self, amount):

self.assets += amount

def wealth(self):

return self.assets

This a project I am am working on. I am using "Learn Python the Hard Way".To best explain. I'm working on a game with a similar format to John Dell's Dopewars, but on Python. SO I've created the several destinations to travel, but now maintaining the "running tally (money)" has been my issue. I'm going to take your advice and play with code you posted. Please contact mewith any more suggestions.

Joshua Landau

Look! A link! Read it!

This a project I am am working on. I am using "Learn Python the Hard Way". To best explain. I'm working on a game with a similar format to John Dell's Dopewars, but on Python. SO I've created the several destinations to travel, but now maintaining the "running tally (money)" has been my issue. I'm going to take your advice and play with code you posted. Please contact me with any more suggestions.

You're doing something wrong. No-one on this list knows what it is.
Hence no-one can help you until you give us some way of finding out.