Creating a web control with editable regions (template control?)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by james.beauchamp@dipolar.com.au, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I'm trying to create a control with multiple regions that can be
    edited - maybe as templates I guess.

    I've seen a control that was done by Scott Mitchell which has rounded
    corners surrounding the control - here is a link to the page
    http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/081104-1.aspx) and this
    essentially has one editable region that will then be surrounded by
    the borders.

    What I'm trying to achieve is a control with 2 or more areas that may
    be templates (or not) but allow me to put the control on the page and
    then include other elements.

    The key things I want to achieve are that I can do similar to the
    following

    <xxx:MyContainer id="MyControl1" runat="server>
    <area1>Some stuff including controls</area1>
    <area2>Some more stuff including controls eg <asp:TextBox id="TextBox1
    etc etc></asp:TextBox></area2>
    </xxx:MyContainer>

    What I then want is that when this displays something like a table
    will surround the 2 areas -- like a regular Html table with borders
    etc - I cant really upload an image to best describe this but
    hopefully you can get the idea.

    Then in the page that has the MyContainer control I can directly refer
    to the control TextBox1 rather than having to do something like

    MyControl1.FindControl("TextBox1").

    I know this is sort of possible using ParseChildren and
    PersistChildren and I have played with template controls but what
    happens is the templates are display away from the rest of the
    elements (Html table like stuff) I want to include. If I ignore the
    Parse and Persist children stuff it works BUT I cant get direct access
    to the control and have to resort to FindControl to get to the control

    Any ideas?

    James Beauchamp

    , Jun 21, 2007