    Thanks everyone.

    This board is a great resource! Well done and thanks again

    Simon
    Simon Harvey, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Simon Harvey

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Simon Harvey"
    <sh856531@microsofts_free_emal_service.com> writing in

    You need to read up on CSS. Try http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

    > Also, is it possible to make new web components for the UI - say, a
    > table element (just off the top of my head)
    > If so, how would that be done?

    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by new components for the UI, but I am
    thinking no. There are things that you can do server side with components,
    but not really client side. Browsers are looking for established elements
    and will most likely ignore elements that do not exist, unless you are
    writing for a particular browser in an intranet situation, where you know
    the user is always going to have the same UA.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Simon Harvey

    Neil White Guest

    "Simon Harvey" <sh856531@microsofts_free_emal_service.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,

    Hi Simon,

    > I've seen a couple of sites that have changed the look and feel of their
    > textfields and I was wondering if anyone knew how that was done. I'm

    hoping
    > its easy to do simple stuff, because simple changes can still be quite
    > effective :)

    CSS is the way...

    Try this:
    <head>
    textarea {background: #FF0000; color: #0000FF;}
    </head>

    I wouldn't recommend using those _actual_ colours. But, of course, you know,
    design's a personal thing. ;-) Sorry, I can't help with the other thing, but
    I'm not completely sure that I understand what you're looking for anyway.

    Best regards
    Neil
    Neil White, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Simon Harvey

    Simon Harvey Guest

    Hi guys,

    Thanks for that :)

    What I'm meaning with regards to new components is, well, how do people make
    treeview controls? How do people make custom graphics viewers or components
    that let you move around a map and zoom in and out etc?

    It just seems that some people seem to be able to make their own tools and
    somehow get them into the page so that anyone can use them. I'm just
    wondering how its done. I thinks its ActiveX in many instances, but I can't
    be bothered with that - it looks quite crappy how you create those controls.
    I just had a hunch that maybe there was another way to extend browser
    functionality.

    Here's another example. On the Microsoft Update site - it scans your
    computer and tells you what upgrades you need. That fine, but when you
    select an update, there is a little effect that makes the text of that
    update zoom off to the top right of the page and merge into an update
    counter. Its quite cool really. Sorry if thats not clear. Its kinda hard to
    explain.

    Thanks very much for your help

    Simon
    Simon Harvey, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Simon Harvey

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Simon Harvey" <sh856531@microsofts_free_emal_service.com> writes:
    > I've seen a couple of sites that have changed the look and feel of their
    > textfields and I was wondering if anyone knew how that was done. I'm hoping
    > its easy to do simple stuff, because simple changes can still be quite
    > effective :)

    CSS. Some browsers support it, some don't, some only support it for
    some form controls. Netscape 4 I've seen break the form control
    entirely if you try, on a few occasions, so best to hide the CSS from
    it using any of the standard tricks.

    > Also, is it possible to make new web components for the UI - say, a table
    > element (just off the top of my head)
    > If so, how would that be done?

    I'm assuming this is a Dreamweaver-specific question, given the
    crosspost. If not, then I'm not sure I understand what you're trying
    to do - could you give a more detailed example.

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Aug 6, 2003
  6. Simon Harvey

    Paul Taylor Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:30:14 +0100, "Simon Harvey"
    <sh856531@microsofts_free_emal_service.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've seen a couple of sites that have changed the look and feel of their
    >textfields and I was wondering if anyone knew how that was done. I'm hoping
    >its easy to do simple stuff, because simple changes can still be quite
    >effective :)
    >
    >Also, is it possible to make new web components for the UI - say, a table
    >element (just off the top of my head)
    >If so, how would that be done?
    >
    >Thanks everyone.
    >
    >This board is a great resource! Well done and thanks again
    >
    >Simon

    you can change the properties of textfields, by giving them an id,
    then altering them by CSS.

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Taylor, Aug 6, 2003
  7. Simon Harvey

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Simon Harvey" <sh856531@microsofts_free_emal_service.com> writes:
    > What I'm meaning with regards to new components is, well, how do people make
    > treeview controls? How do people make custom graphics viewers or components
    > that let you move around a map and zoom in and out etc?

    Java, ActiveX or Flash, most of the time. Though treeview and map
    display could both be handled through some sort of server-side
    process, if the interface was well thought out.

    Obviously if any of the first three are used there needs to be a
    well-implemented alternative for browsers without those technologies.

    > It just seems that some people seem to be able to make their own tools and
    > somehow get them into the page so that anyone can use them. I'm just
    > wondering how its done. I thinks its ActiveX in many instances, but I can't
    > be bothered with that - it looks quite crappy how you create those controls.
    > I just had a hunch that maybe there was another way to extend browser
    > functionality.

    Not with HTML. It's possible with various plugin technologies, but
    you have to be prepared for times they're not available. Tightly
    controlled intranets are sometimes an exception to this.

    PS. Could you include some context from the message you are replying
    to in future, it makes things easier to follow. Thanks

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Aug 7, 2003