Creating custom textboxes and UI elements

Simon Harvey

Hi,

I've seen a couple of sites that have changed the look and feel of their
textfields and I was wondering if anyone knew how that was done. I'm hoping
its easy to do simple stuff, because simple changes can still be quite
effective :)

Also, is it possible to make new web components for the UI - say, a table
element (just off the top of my head)
If so, how would that be done?

Thanks everyone.

This board is a great resource! Well done and thanks again

Simon

Adrienne

You need to read up on CSS. Try http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
Also, is it possible to make new web components for the UI - say, a
table element (just off the top of my head)
If so, how would that be done?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by new components for the UI, but I am
thinking no. There are things that you can do server side with components,
but not really client side. Browsers are looking for established elements
and will most likely ignore elements that do not exist, unless you are
writing for a particular browser in an intranet situation, where you know
the user is always going to have the same UA.

Neil White

Simon Harvey said:

Hi Simon,
I've seen a couple of sites that have changed the look and feel of their
textfields and I was wondering if anyone knew how that was done. I'm hoping
its easy to do simple stuff, because simple changes can still be quite
effective :)

CSS is the way...

Try this:
<head>
textarea {background: #FF0000; color: #0000FF;}
</head>

I wouldn't recommend using those _actual_ colours. But, of course, you know,
design's a personal thing. ;-) Sorry, I can't help with the other thing, but
I'm not completely sure that I understand what you're looking for anyway.

Best regards
Neil

Simon Harvey

Hi guys,

Thanks for that :)

What I'm meaning with regards to new components is, well, how do people make
treeview controls? How do people make custom graphics viewers or components
that let you move around a map and zoom in and out etc?

It just seems that some people seem to be able to make their own tools and
somehow get them into the page so that anyone can use them. I'm just
wondering how its done. I thinks its ActiveX in many instances, but I can't
be bothered with that - it looks quite crappy how you create those controls.
I just had a hunch that maybe there was another way to extend browser
functionality.

Here's another example. On the Microsoft Update site - it scans your
computer and tells you what upgrades you need. That fine, but when you
select an update, there is a little effect that makes the text of that
update zoom off to the top right of the page and merge into an update
counter. Its quite cool really. Sorry if thats not clear. Its kinda hard to
explain.

Thanks very much for your help

Simon

Chris Morris

Simon Harvey said:
I've seen a couple of sites that have changed the look and feel of their
textfields and I was wondering if anyone knew how that was done. I'm hoping
its easy to do simple stuff, because simple changes can still be quite
effective :)

CSS. Some browsers support it, some don't, some only support it for
some form controls. Netscape 4 I've seen break the form control
entirely if you try, on a few occasions, so best to hide the CSS from
it using any of the standard tricks.
Also, is it possible to make new web components for the UI - say, a table
element (just off the top of my head)
If so, how would that be done?

I'm assuming this is a Dreamweaver-specific question, given the
crosspost. If not, then I'm not sure I understand what you're trying
to do - could you give a more detailed example.

Paul Taylor

Hi,

I've seen a couple of sites that have changed the look and feel of their
textfields and I was wondering if anyone knew how that was done. I'm hoping
its easy to do simple stuff, because simple changes can still be quite
effective :)

Also, is it possible to make new web components for the UI - say, a table
element (just off the top of my head)
If so, how would that be done?

Thanks everyone.

This board is a great resource! Well done and thanks again

Simon

you can change the properties of textfields, by giving them an id,
then altering them by CSS.

Paul Taylor

Chris Morris

Simon Harvey said:
What I'm meaning with regards to new components is, well, how do people make
treeview controls? How do people make custom graphics viewers or components
that let you move around a map and zoom in and out etc?

Java, ActiveX or Flash, most of the time. Though treeview and map
display could both be handled through some sort of server-side
process, if the interface was well thought out.

Obviously if any of the first three are used there needs to be a
well-implemented alternative for browsers without those technologies.
It just seems that some people seem to be able to make their own tools and
somehow get them into the page so that anyone can use them. I'm just
wondering how its done. I thinks its ActiveX in many instances, but I can't
be bothered with that - it looks quite crappy how you create those controls.
I just had a hunch that maybe there was another way to extend browser
functionality.

Not with HTML. It's possible with various plugin technologies, but
you have to be prepared for times they're not available. Tightly
controlled intranets are sometimes an exception to this.

PS. Could you include some context from the message you are replying
to in future, it makes things easier to follow. Thanks