cross-compilation

Roumen Petrov

Hi list members,

It seems to me that this is discussed many times in the past but without
progress. As I understand in general there is no objections and
preferred cross-compilation has to be based on distutils (scons was
rejected).

So I would like to cross-compile from linux(build system) to the
mingw(host system) and note some(many) problems:

- the configure script don't support cross-compilation:
The first is lack of macro AC_CANONICAL_HOST.
Next is AC_TRY_RUN with two arguments.

- native mingw build isn't supported well:
As example updated ifdefs from issue 1412448 aren't in the code. The
posixmodule.c is required and I expect native build to fail. May be same
for pwdmodule.c.

- the build process may require python installed on build system and the
"distutils" may be isn't aware that cross-compilation is requested. In
general isn't possible to run on build platform executable just build
for host platform. Linux plus emulator is an exception.

What about to start to resolve issues step by step ?

Roumen

Martin v. Löwis

What about to start to resolve issues step by step ?

The first step surely should be to get the autoconf issue resolved.

I don't think distutils cross-compilation is going to work, instead,
people wishing to cross-compile should edit Modules/Setup.

Regards,
Martin