Cross-compiling Ruby 1.9.2

Sparky Mat

I am attempting to cross-compile Ruby 1.9.2 for ARM using Scratchbox (am
new to cross-compiling). However, ./configure throws an error saying
"checking whether setpgrp takes no argument... configure: error: cannot
check setpgrp when cross compiling".

If it won't lead to much issues, can I disable the check?

All help appreciated. I would very much love to have Ruby 1.9 running on
my N900. :)

P.S: I am using the Maemo 5 SDK to build ruby-1.9.2-p180.tar.gz in
scratchbox, and I am using the following command to run configure:
/configure --host=i486

Brian Candler

This might not help you directly, but you could have a look at how
OpenWrt deals with it. They cross-compile ruby for at least MIPS and
probably other CPUs.

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/lang/ruby

This may involve getting to grips with their entire build system though
:-(

You could download OpenWrt, tell it to build for a similar platform in
debug mode (-v 99 or something like that), and watch what actual
commands it runs.

Sparky Mat

I would probably try building it by hand only as a last resort. I have
posted on the maemo list hoping someone can help me figure out the
cross-compiling bit. I was just wondering if someone here has tried it
already.