Crystal - Access denied - deployment

Guest

We have recently setup a new server:
Windows 2003 (Version 5.2)
IIS 6.0
ASP.NET 2.0

Using existing code that previously worked we can't seem to export PDFs from
our Crystal reports anymore (exception below). From past problems we know
the exception typically means that the export destination does not have the
proper security permissions. Normally you have to add NETWORK SERVICE with
permissions but we use Windows Authentication with no anonymous so we simply
add permissions for the user.

To help trouble shoot we have added full permissions for both our users and
the NETWORK SERVICE (with no luck). We also, added full permissions for
these to the temp folder as well (which we expected wouldn't do anything but
had to try).

Furthermore, we currently dump the dataset into the directory via WriteXML
to ensure the user has proper directory access. This succeeds just prior to
running the Crystal Export command.

We really are at the end of our rope on this so any direction at all would
be greatly appreciated.

Exception and stack trace:
------------
Access denied. Error in File
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\temp_924c10a0-4bd9-40e6-b168-5e40a67d556f
{D09FF055-3EC3-45B7-9FF0-FAA16702420D}.rpt: Access to report file denied.
Another program may be using it. at
CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ConvertDotNetToErom.ThrowDotNetException(Exception
e) at
CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.EromReportSourceBase.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext
reqContext) at
CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.FormatEngine.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext
reqContext) at
CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.FormatEngine.Export(ExportRequestContext
reqContext) at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.FormatEngine.Export()
at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Export() at
_ExportPDF() in ReportBUS\Report.vb:line 1113

TIA,
- Marc Castrechini

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Marc,

As for this issue, it seems some crystal report specific temp files(in the
machine temp dir) is locked by some process which cause your crystal report
code unable to access it. For generic throubleshooting , you can consider
use the processexplorer.exe tool to check file handle and locate the
process which locks the file.

http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/processexplorer.html

Also, since this is a crystal report specific issue, we suggest you try
contacting crystal report support on further assistance.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317789/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100368/en-us

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,