    can someone point me to a site that clarifies these
    context sensitive rules.

    thanks.

    ppcguy, Aug 20, 2005

  2. ppcguy

    Safalra Guest

    ppcguy wrote:
    > seems like attribute settings are context sensitive.
    >
    > for example, i can set the background-color of
    > a COL element - but not the border settings.
    >
    > can someone point me to a site that clarifies these
    > context sensitive rules.

    I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but the CSS specification is
    very readable and should help things make sense:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

    Safalra, Aug 20, 2005

  3. ppcguy <> wrote:

    > seems like attribute settings are context sensitive.
    >
    > for example, i can set the background-color of
    > a COL element - but not the border settings.
    >
    > can someone point me to a site that clarifies these
    > context sensitive rules.

    Only four properties applies to COL and COLGROUP, and sometimes only
    under certain conditions.
    See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#q4

    --
    David Håsäther

    David Håsäther, Aug 20, 2005
  4. ppcguy

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, ppcguy quothed:

    > seems like attribute settings are context sensitive.
    >
    > for example, i can set the background-color of
    > a COL element - but not the border settings.
    >
    > can someone point me to a site that clarifies these
    > context sensitive rules.

    Columns don't have borders, cells do.

    --
    Neredbojias