css conflict (or html conflict)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by charles cashion, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. I have the following in my <style> ...
    p { font-family: arial;
    font-size: 16pt;
    margin-left: 50px;
    margin-right: 50px;
    }
    p.indent
    { margin-left: 100px;
    margin-right: 100px;
    }

    If I have in the body...

    If I have
    content-type: text/html
    in the header, everything works as expected, as long as the text is
    typical English text. But if the text includes one of the characters
    associated with Croatian text...

    If I have a "small Latin z with caron" (=BE)
    Then you will see...
    mo=BEe or

    if I have a "small Latin s with caron" (=B9)
    va=B9om or

    if I have a "small Latin c with acute" (=E8)
    bu=E8ar

    If you actually want to see the z w/caron or s w/caron or c with acute,
    then you change two lines in the header

    content-type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-2"
    content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

    THE SITUATION: The "quoted-printable" MUST be present to see the
    Croatian characters BUT it breaks the p.indent style.

    THE QUESTION...Is there some other way to print the Croatian characters
    w/out breaking the p.indent definition?
    Tnx,
    Charles
    charles cashion, Feb 18, 2009

  2. charles cashion wrote:

    > I have the following in my <style> ...

    Things would be easier if you explained the whole context. It seems that you
    are referring to e-mail in HTML format.

    > p { font-family: arial;
    > font-size: 16pt;

    Rather odd - refreshing deviation from common cluelessness of fixed tiny
    font sizes, but still a fixed size.

    A class name like "indent" is not descriptive of meaning.

    > If I have
    > content-type: text/html
    > in the header, everything works as expected, as long as the text is
    > typical English text. But if the text includes one of the characters
    > associated with Croatian text...
    >
    > If I have a "small Latin z with caron" (=BE)
    > Then you will see...
    > mo=BEe or

    Well, if you have "=BE" in the data, why should it look like something else?

    > If you actually want to see the z w/caron or s w/caron or c with
    > acute, then you change two lines in the header
    >
    > content-type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-2"
    > content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
    >
    > THE SITUATION: The "quoted-printable" MUST be present to see the
    > Croatian characters BUT it breaks the p.indent style.

    You need to provide a testable sample case. You're probably just
    misunderstanding something, or you have failed to QP encode _all_ the data
    in the message. After all, an "=" isn't an "=" when Quoted Printable
    encoding is applied. This means that if you have <style type="text/css"> for
    example, who knows what will happen?

    > THE QUESTION...Is there some other way to print the Croatian
    > characters w/out breaking the p.indent definition?

    You can use them as such, provided that you use them in some known encoding
    like UTF-8 or ISO-8859-2 and you specify both the encoding and (for e-mail)
    the transfer method.

    Or you might escape the issue of using entity and character references, such
    as &zcaron;.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 18, 2009

  3. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >
    >> I have the following in my <style> ...

    > Things would be easier if you explained the whole context. It seems that
    > you are referring to e-mail in HTML format.
    >
    >> p { font-family: arial;
    >> font-size: 16pt;

    > Rather odd - refreshing deviation from common cluelessness of fixed tiny
    > font sizes, but still a fixed size.

    > A class name like "indent" is not descriptive of meaning.
    >
    >> If I have
    >> content-type: text/html
    >> in the header, everything works as expected, as long as the text is
    >> typical English text. But if the text includes one of the characters
    >> associated with Croatian text...
    >>
    >> If I have a "small Latin z with caron" (=BE)
    >> Then you will see...
    >> mo=BEe or

    > Well, if you have "=BE" in the data, why should it look like something
    > else?
    >
    >> If you actually want to see the z w/caron or s w/caron or c with
    >> acute, then you change two lines in the header
    >>
    >> content-type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-2"
    >> content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
    >>
    >> THE SITUATION: The "quoted-printable" MUST be present to see the
    >> Croatian characters BUT it breaks the p.indent style.

    > You need to provide a testable sample case. You're probably just
    > misunderstanding something, or you have failed to QP encode _all_ the
    > data in the message. After all, an "=" isn't an "=" when Quoted
    > Printable encoding is applied. This means that if you have <style
    > type="text/css"> for example, who knows what will happen?
    >
    >> THE QUESTION...Is there some other way to print the Croatian
    >> characters w/out breaking the p.indent definition?

    > You can use them as such, provided that you use them in some known
    > encoding like UTF-8 or ISO-8859-2 and you specify both the encoding and
    > (for e-mail) the transfer method.
    >
    > Or you might escape the issue of using entity and character references,
    > such as &zcaron;.

    Yucca,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Normally, most responders ask for the URL of a web page.
    I think, since my question is rather obscure, I will put
    it into a web site, and then ask the question again.
    Tnx,
    Charles
    charles cashion, Feb 18, 2009