    and what impact does the senarion have on accessability?

    Cheers
    Silkster

    Silkster, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Hello,

    Silkster wrote:

    > I have quiet a few forms to create soon and Iam not totaly up on
    > them...
    > What I would link to to do is instead of having the <lable> then the
    > <input>
    > is just have the form field with the instructions in side eg:
    > [__Enter Your First Name Here_____]
    > and when the user click in the filed the text disapears.
    >
    > I know this can be done with javascript and the ecomerce site I am
    > doing needs to have javascript switched on
    >
    > But what do I do with the lable field?
    > and what impact does the senarion have on accessability?

    I don't think, this is a good idea - even if you can rely on the presence of
    JS in the user-agent.

    Can you rely on the inputs always being wide enough to show the complete
    instructions? If the instructions are clipped, there's no way for the user
    to see the hidden part, because once she clicks on it to scroll to the
    right it will disappear.

    And a problem that people like me with a very 'selective' short-term memory
    will have: click on the input and immediately forget what was written
    there, e.g. for dates: "was is YYYY-MM-DD or MM-DD-YY or ... ?"

    If your layout is so tightly packed that you think there's no space left for
    labels beside the form controls, than the real problem is your layout.

    HTH

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Oct 30, 2006

  3. "Silkster" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone...Hope you can help me...
    >
    > I have quiet a few forms to create soon and Iam not totaly up on
    > them...
    > What I would link to to do is instead of having the <lable> then the
    > <input>
    > is just have the form field with the instructions in side eg:
    > [__Enter Your First Name Here_____]
    > and when the user click in the filed the text disapears.
    >
    > I know this can be done with javascript and the ecomerce site I am
    > doing needs to have javascript switched on
    >
    > But what do I do with the lable field?
    > and what impact does the senarion have on accessability?

    If they're all text inputs then could you not use the value attribute to
    enter the instructions within the input? Of course, it wouldn't disappear
    when they clicked it (could make it do that with JS for those with it
    enabled) and you could end up with them posting your labels back at you.

    +e

    The Eclectic Electric, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Silkster wrote:
    > Hi everyone...Hope you can help me...
    >
    > I have quiet a few forms to create soon and Iam not totaly up on
    > them...
    > What I would link to to do is instead of having the <lable> then the
    > <input>
    > is just have the form field with the instructions in side eg:
    > [__Enter Your First Name Here_____]
    > and when the user click in the filed the text disapears.
    >
    > I know this can be done with javascript and the ecomerce site I am
    > doing needs to have javascript switched on
    >
    > But what do I do with the lable field?
    > and what impact does the senarion have on accessability?

    Don't know, but I think most are intuitive and can understand when they
    see a label "Name;" and a text box to the left that their name should be
    entered in that box. LABEL and INPUT will work on all browsers and even
    text only ones (e.g., Lynx) whereas JavaScript will not. If extra
    instruction is required you can always add it "Date (yy-mm-dd):" and
    follow up with your validation...

    There is something to be said for convention, put a cylindrical knob
    half way up and on the right side of door and folks' first impulse will
    be to turn it and not press that button in the center to open the door.
    Convention is your friend as a designer...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO