CSS Help - Please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by terry, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. terry

    terry Guest

    Hello,

    I have 2 questions. I've spent the last 2 hours looking through the
    w3schools.org and other websites but cannot figure out if it's even
    possible to create a list "without" indentation. On the following page
    I would like the bullets to be flush left with the edge of the table.
    Is that possible with the use of css?
    http://www.4everhers.com/dev/css-test1.asp

    Question 2. On every page of my site is a footer
    (http://www.4everhers.com). It's been created with tables, lots of
    nested tables. Every day I read stuff posted in this newsgroup hoping
    to learn something new. I've read many times that tables are old school
    and css is the way to go (at least that's how I interpret it). I've
    already converted a lot font and other tags to css (my code now
    validates ... well "almost") but the footer will be more complicated.
    Basically, if I were to just jump in and do it I would use tables but
    use css to set border width, color, etc. Somehow I just don't think
    that's right. Recreating the footer will be a great way to learn but
    I'm just not sure where to begin. If someone would give me a "gentle
    nudge" in the right direction I would appreciate it!

    Please keep in mind that I am in learning mode.

    Thanks,
    Terry

    terry, Mar 18, 2006

  2. terry wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have 2 questions. I've spent the last 2 hours looking through the
    > w3schools.org and other websites but cannot figure out if it's even
    > possible to create a list "without" indentation. On the following page
    > I would like the bullets to be flush left with the edge of the table.
    > Is that possible with the use of css?
    > http://www.4everhers.com/dev/css-test1.asp

    I believe you need to remove the padding from the <ul> element. I would
    probably set it as a class...

    insert into css file
    ..noPadding {
    padding: 0;
    }

    insert into html file

    <ul class="noPadding">
    </ul>

    I haven't tried it, but I think it will work.

    > Question 2. On every page of my site is a footer
    > (http://www.4everhers.com). It's been created with tables, lots of
    > nested tables. Every day I read stuff posted in this newsgroup hoping
    > to learn something new. I've read many times that tables are old school
    > and css is the way to go (at least that's how I interpret it). I've
    > already converted a lot font and other tags to css (my code now
    > validates ... well "almost") but the footer will be more complicated.
    > Basically, if I were to just jump in and do it I would use tables but
    > use css to set border width, color, etc. Somehow I just don't think
    > that's right. Recreating the footer will be a great way to learn but
    > I'm just not sure where to begin. If someone would give me a "gentle
    > nudge" in the right direction I would appreciate it!
    >
    > Please keep in mind that I am in learning mode.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Terry

    I see why you used tables for the footer. I might even be tempted to say
    that it is appropriate in this case. (So, who is going to flame me first?)
    You have a list of headings across the top and links underneath. You could
    try a five column div setup. Google for multi-column style sheets. In
    your case you would want five equal columns, not the typical one or two
    menu columns and a big content column.

    Good luck!

    Carolyn
    --