CSS help?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Noozer, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    I've got a few questions regarding the layout of a page I'm developing...

    http://www.csd.ca/test/

    In Internet Explorer the page doesn't seem too bad, but I've a couple
    questions:
    - If the window isn't open wide enough the DIVs at the right side of the
    screen move down below the menu. How can I stop this?
    - The table in the final section (labelled "This") doesn't fill the full
    width of the DIV. Specifying a width of 100% causes the container DIV to
    slip under the left menu. How can I make the table fill the DIV?
    - In the left menu, what CSS can I use to highlight the complete line of
    each LI element when the mouse hovers? If I make it a block element I get a
    blank line after each element. If I don't make it a block then only the text
    is highlighted, not the entire line. In my sample, the purple ITEMS area has
    the <A> tags as block elements to show what I mean - noticed the blank
    lines.

    Finally, checking the page in Firefox 0.9.3 I notice two problems...
    - The three DIV's on the right side appear to go under the left menu DIV,
    except that the text is aligned directly against the left menu.
    - The Category DIV that appears properly in IE with an orange background
    seems to get ignored and falls within the DIV containing the entire left
    menu.

    ....Any suggestions to correct these issues? Any general comments?

    Thanks!

    Noozer, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Noozer

    brucie Guest

    1. Advertising

  3. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Noozer, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Noozer

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Noozer said:

    > First of all, it's a mockup.
    > I don't expect it to pass validation.

    then don't expect it to work.

    HAND

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Noozer

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Noozer" <> wrote in news:nuGed.16310$Pl.15691@pd7tw1no:

    > First of all, it's a mockup.
    >
    > I don't expect it to pass validation.

    If you want other people to help you with a page, they'll be *much* more
    willing if you've already done the "grunt work" to get rid of anything that
    could be an obvious cause of problems. That means, among other things,
    having a machine do anything a machine can do to spot potential problems
    rather than expecting the other people to act like machines.

    Cross-browser CSS compatibility is tricky enough to achieve when you're
    dealing with valid code. It's a *great* deal harder to achieve when you've
    got invalid code, because every browser "fixes" the invalid code a bit
    differently. In fact, it's so much harder that nobody who's at all
    familiar with CSS (which is to say the only people who could help you) is
    going to be willing to try it, at least not unless you pay them a great
    deal of money or supply them with other things of value. It's just not
    worth their effort. Trying to debug CSS applied to invalid HTML is like
    banging your head against a wall.

    Once you've adopted the right habits, there is *no* extra work involved in
    making even the smallest bit of HTML and/or CSS pass validation! Doing it
    right the first time involves *less* work than doing it sloppy and then
    cleaning it up. It's really a matter of attitude more than anything else;
    if you think of writing valid markup as a chore to be done grudgingly,
    you're just going to make the task of Web development unpleasant for
    yourself. That's your right, but then you can't expect others to
    participate in the unpleasantry. If you think of writing valid markup as
    the way you always write markup, then after a few days (at most) of
    possible frustration while you're learning, the task becomes a lot more
    fun.

    Eric Bohlman, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html Noozer said:
    >
    > > First of all, it's a mockup.
    > > I don't expect it to pass validation.

    > then don't expect it to work.

    There... It passes...

    Noozer, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    "Eric Bohlman" <> wrote in message
    > "Noozer" <> wrote in news:nuGed.16310$Pl.15691@pd7tw1no:
    >
    > > First of all, it's a mockup.
    > >
    > > I don't expect it to pass validation.

    > If you want other people to help you with a page, they'll be *much* more
    > willing if you've already done the "grunt work" to get rid of anything

    that
    > could be an obvious cause of problems. That means, among other things,
    > having a machine do anything a machine can do to spot potential problems
    > rather than expecting the other people to act like machines.
    >
    > Cross-browser CSS compatibility is tricky enough to achieve when you're
    > dealing with valid code. It's a *great* deal harder to achieve when

    you've
    > got invalid code, because every browser "fixes" the invalid code a bit
    > differently. In fact, it's so much harder that nobody who's at all
    > familiar with CSS (which is to say the only people who could help you) is
    > going to be willing to try it, at least not unless you pay them a great
    > deal of money or supply them with other things of value. It's just not
    > worth their effort. Trying to debug CSS applied to invalid HTML is like
    > banging your head against a wall.
    >
    > Once you've adopted the right habits, there is *no* extra work involved in
    > making even the smallest bit of HTML and/or CSS pass validation! Doing it
    > right the first time involves *less* work than doing it sloppy and then
    > cleaning it up. It's really a matter of attitude more than anything else;
    > if you think of writing valid markup as a chore to be done grudgingly,
    > you're just going to make the task of Web development unpleasant for
    > yourself. That's your right, but then you can't expect others to
    > participate in the unpleasantry. If you think of writing valid markup as
    > the way you always write markup, then after a few days (at most) of
    > possible frustration while you're learning, the task becomes a lot more
    > fun.

    I inherited a bunch of this, so I'm still trying to clean it up... I didn't
    realize that the DOCTYPE made such a big difference, for example -
    especially with that invalid space before "DOCTYPE".

    .... the test page as it stands now validates fine but still has issues.

    - Now the Categories DIV doesn't work in IE or in Firefox. I have no idea
    why this happens.

    - The three results sections don't appear to the right of the menu. I assume
    it's because they are set for 100% width, which won't fit with anything else
    on the same row as they are. How to I tell them to fill the remaining space
    to the right of the menu. If the window is too narrow I'd like them to
    scroll off the right side.

    - I'd like to highlight the complete line in the menu, instead of behind the
    text. (Items section is using block elements - but then I get blank lines).
    I've tried chaning the <A> or the <LI> elements to block elements but I get
    blanks lines between each item.

    - I'd like the table in the "This" result section to fill sections width.

    I'm not asking anyone to write my code... just looking for pointers.

    Thanks

    Noozer, Oct 24, 2004