    Any ideas on how to get it to print correctly? My employer wants
    every page printed so he can go through each and write notes on the
    print outs.

    Kathleen Coyne, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Kathleen Coyne wrote:
    > I tried printing a page on the site I'm designing, and it printed out
    > wrong. It printed the navigation bar first, and then the content (as
    > opposed to the navigation being next to the content).
    >
    > I used CSS divs to layout the page. Do printers not read it
    > correctly?

    a uri would help with diagnosis, but try a little @media print {} in your
    style file,

    > Any ideas on how to get it to print correctly? My employer wants
    > every page printed so he can go through each and write notes on the
    > print outs.

    in the meantime I guess a screen-cap will just have to do.

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jul 17, 2003

  3. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:27:17 -0700, Kathleen Coyne wrote:

    > I used CSS divs to layout the page. Do printers not read it
    > correctly?

    How have you linked to the style sheet?

    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foobar.css" media="screen">

    will only apply to the page while it is displayed on a screen.

    To have the style sheet apply to print as well, use:

    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foobar.css" media="screen,print">

    Better still, create seperate print and screen style sheets:

    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foobar.css" media="screen">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foobar-prn.css"
    media="print">

    As it might be sensible to restrict the printed style sheet to just black
    on white.

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Better still, create seperate print and screen style sheets:
    >
    > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foobar.css" media="screen">
    > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="foobar-prn.css"
    > media="print">
    >
    > As it might be sensible to restrict the printed style sheet to just black
    > on white.

    Good tip.

    I got it to print correctly if I printed it landscape as opposed to
    portrait - which is fine, as my employer wanted no scrolling for the
    entire site (because he never realizes when he has to scroll on a
    site, and always misses extra information!)

    Kathleen Coyne, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Kathleen Coyne

    rf Guest

    > > As it might be sensible to restrict the printed style sheet to just

    black
    > > on white.

    > Good tip.

    > which is fine, as my employer wanted no scrolling for the
    > entire site (because he never realizes when he has to scroll on a
    > site, and always misses extra information!)

    WHAT? Nobody can be that malinformed, can they? How does your employer find
    the on switch for the computer? Does your employee ever read past page 1 of
    the newspaper?

    I would rather look at a site that scrolled a bit than one divided up into a
    very large number of 800x600 pages, considering I ususally have my browser
    at about 900x1100. One would loose track of the information whilst
    negotiating with the navigation.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 18, 2003