CSS problem - an odd one

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Jul 25, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have an odd stylesheet problem - if you visit http://www.reelnorth.co.uk
    and go to the archive page you'll see it - but only if you're using IE or
    Konqueror! Anything using the mozilla engine or Opera renders the page
    correctly (or correctly as I see it).

    I know the page does not validate (due to reuse of the same <div id...>
    tags, but that's all).

    Can anyone suggest a fix for that page? It is the only page with a problem
    which I can't find an answer to.

    The site will be getting fixed after next week so that the reuse of <div
    id> will be gone and all will be merry again.

    TTFN

    Paul

    --
    "There are four stages to any war
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you
    Paul F. Johnson, Jul 25, 2004

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    John McGaw Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an odd stylesheet problem - if you visit http://www.reelnorth.co.uk
    > and go to the archive page you'll see it - but only if you're using IE or
    > Konqueror! Anything using the mozilla engine or Opera renders the page
    > correctly (or correctly as I see it).
    >
    > I know the page does not validate (due to reuse of the same <div id...>
    > tags, but that's all).
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a fix for that page? It is the only page with a problem
    > which I can't find an answer to.
    >
    > The site will be getting fixed after next week so that the reuse of <div
    > id> will be gone and all will be merry again.
    >
    > TTFN
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > --
    > "There are four stages to any war
    > First they ignore you, then they laugh at you
    > Then they fight you, then YOU win."
    > Ghandi

    Just curious but what, exactly, are you seeing "wrong" with the page in IE?
    Clearly you have some expectations about what it should look like and see
    something that doesn't match your expectations but it is difficult for an
    uninterested outsider to see the problem unless it is really egregious. I
    looked at the sample page in IE and saw nothing really obvious.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]
    John McGaw, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Hi,

    John McGaw did utter the following words of wisdom:

    > "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >> I have an odd stylesheet problem - if you visit http://www.reelnorth.co.uk
    >> and go to the archive page you'll see it - but only if you're using IE or
    >> Konqueror! Anything using the mozilla engine or Opera renders the page
    >> correctly (or correctly as I see it).

    > Just curious but what, exactly, are you seeing "wrong" with the page in IE?

    According to reports there is a very large gap
    between the end of the films lists and the next purple bar. On Mozilla &
    Opera, neither show any sort of gap, but under IE there is.

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Jul 25, 2004
  4. Paul F. Johnson

    > Hi,
    >
    > John McGaw did utter the following words of wisdom:
    >
    > > "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in message

    > >> I have an odd stylesheet problem - if you visit

    http://www.reelnorth.co.uk
    > >> and go to the archive page you'll see it - but only if you're using IE

    or
    > >> Konqueror! Anything using the mozilla engine or Opera renders the page
    > >> correctly (or correctly as I see it).

    > > Just curious but what, exactly, are you seeing "wrong" with the page in

    IE?

    > According to reports there is a very large gap
    > between the end of the films lists and the next purple bar. On Mozilla &
    > Opera, neither show any sort of gap, but under IE there is.
    >
    > TTFN
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > --
    > "There are four stages to any war
    > First they ignore you, then they laugh at you
    > Then they fight you, then YOU win."
    > Ghandi

    OK. The page you cited looked like this:
    http://johnmcgaw.com/image/reel_north.jpg
    when viewed using IE6 with the most current patches on my machine just a few
    minutes ago. The JPG posted is heavily compressed but should be enough to
    let you judge any offending gaps. Hope that helped.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]
    John McGaw, Jul 25, 2004
  5. Paul F. Johnson

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote:

    >I have an odd stylesheet problem - if you visit http://www.reelnorth.co.uk
    >and go to the archive page

    If you mean http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/archives.html
    then post the actual URL
    http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/archives.html

    > you'll see it - but only if you're using IE or
    >Konqueror! Anything using the mozilla engine or Opera renders the page
    >correctly (or correctly as I see it).
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a fix for that page? It is the only page with a problem
    >which I can't find an answer to.

    Add a background colour to #block-filler and you'll see what is
    happening. I'm not at all sure what the point of those empty filler
    divs is, I'd suggest using clear: both; on the headings instead. And
    why are all your headings <h1>s? Surely 'The Archives' is the main
    heading for the page and the others are sub-headings?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jul 25, 2004
  6. Paul F. Johnson

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "John McGaw" <> wrote:
    >"Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote:
    >> John McGaw did utter the following words of wisdom:

    >> > Just curious but what, exactly, are you seeing "wrong" with the page in
    >> > IE?

    >> According to reports there is a very large gap
    >> between the end of the films lists and the next purple bar.

    >OK. The page you cited looked like this:
    >http://johnmcgaw.com/image/reel_north.jpg
    >when viewed using IE6 with the most current patches on my machine just a few
    >minutes ago.

    The OP cited the page in a roundabout manner (see 'and go to the
    archive page' in his post), he didn't mean the page at
    http://www.reelnorth.co.uk despite posting that URL, he meant the page
    at http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/archives.html

    Steve Pugh, Jul 25, 2004
  7. Paul F. Johnson

    rf Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote

    > Hi,

    G'day.

    > I have an odd stylesheet problem - if you visit http://www.reelnorth.co.uk
    > and go to the archive page you'll see it - but only if you're using IE or
    > Konqueror! Anything using the mozilla engine or Opera renders the page
    > correctly (or correctly as I see it).

    Hmmm.

    Temporarily turn on ALL borders at, in this case, the top of your CSS:
    * {border: solid 1px green;}
    (if you have existing borders all over the place sometimes you have to do
    this at the bottom, or even in the middle. You may even have to turn off
    your black/blue/puce background).

    Lesson to all: This is now rule one in your arsenal of web page debugging. I
    have a user style sheet specifically for this which I can switch on at will
    using my accessibilty options.

    Once you have borders on you will see that the huge blank space is in fact
    an empty element, or rather an element with no content but a great deal of
    height. It sticks out like dogs ba^H^H It's quite obvious.

    From the visual context (where the borders are) you should be able to see
    exactly which element this is. You, better than I, you wrote the page after
    all :)

    If you don't spot it immediately then pinpoint it as closely as you can and
    then apply different coloured borders to every element in the vicinity,
    using style attributes in the elements opening tags. You will eventually
    find the culprit. It will be the very high and empty element with a
    particular border colour.

    Once you have found it you can deal with it as you see fit.

    BTW if I were to explore/debug this page this is exactly the approach I
    would have taken. However I have done this many times before. It's now a
    learning exercise for you to do it :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 25, 2004
  8. Paul F. Johnson

    John McGaw Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "John McGaw" <> wrote:
    > >"Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote:
    > >> John McGaw did utter the following words of wisdom:

    in

    > >> According to reports there is a very large gap
    > >> between the end of the films lists and the next purple bar.

    > >OK. The page you cited looked like this:
    > >http://johnmcgaw.com/image/reel_north.jpg
    > >when viewed using IE6 with the most current patches on my machine just a

    few
    > >minutes ago.

    > The OP cited the page in a roundabout manner (see 'and go to the
    > archive page' in his post), he didn't mean the page at
    > http://www.reelnorth.co.uk despite posting that URL, he meant the page
    > at http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/archives.html
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    > I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor
    >
    > Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Ah so des! Looking at the page you quote then there ARE some ugly gaps after
    the first set of film names -- even I could see them so it must be so. I
    won't even venture a guess as to possible causes since I have a hard enough
    time trying to keep my own trivial pages working...
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]
    John McGaw, Jul 25, 2004
  9. Paul F. Johnson

    Paul Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:12:46 +0100, Steve Pugh wrote:

    > "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an odd stylesheet problem - if you visit http://www.reelnorth.co.uk
    >>and go to the archive page

    > If you mean http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/archives.html
    > then post the actual URL
    > http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/reel_north/archives.html

    Seems the DNS problem is still going on with that - I was told the
    corrected reelnorth.co.uk/archives.html would be working by the weekend.
    Oh well.

    >> you'll see it - but only if you're using IE or
    >>Konqueror! Anything using the mozilla engine or Opera renders the page
    >>correctly (or correctly as I see it).
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest a fix for that page? It is the only page with a
    >>problem which I can't find an answer to.

    > Add a background colour to #block-filler and you'll see what is
    > happening. I'm not at all sure what the point of those empty filler divs
    > is, I'd suggest using clear: both; on the headings instead.

    Excellent - thanks for that, I can see the problem now :)

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 25, 2004
  10. Paul F. Johnson

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Seems the DNS problem is still going on with that - I was told the
    > corrected reelnorth.co.uk/archives.html would be working by the weekend.
    > Oh well.

    Looks to me like its not just slow progagation -- your DNS servers
    themselves are still pointing to the framed redirection server:

    [tai@ophelia ~]$ whois reelnorth.co.uk

    Domain Name:
    reelnorth.co.uk

    Registrant:
    Paul Barron

    Registrant's Address:

    THE REGISTRANT IS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ELECTED TO
    HAVE THEIR ADDRESS OMITTED FROM THE WHOIS DATABASE

    Registrant's Agent:
    Host Europe Internet Limited [Tag = HOSTEUROPE]

    Relevant Dates:
    Registered on: 03-Mar-2003
    Renewal Date: 03-Mar-2005

    Registration Status:
    Registered until renewal date.

    Name servers listed in order:
    ns.hosteurope.com 212.67.202.2
    ns2.hosteurope.com 212.67.203.246

    WHOIS database last updated at 15:35:00 25-Jul-2004

    --
    (c) Nominet UK 1996 - 2004

    For further information and terms of use please see http://www.nic.uk/whois
    Nominet reserves the right to withhold access to this service at any time.

    [tai@ophelia ~]$ dig +short @212.67.202.2 www.reelnorth.co.uk
    212.67.202.241
    [tai@ophelia ~]$ host 212.67.202.241
    241.202.67.212.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer redirect.123-reg.co.uk.

    You need to tell the name servers 212.67.202.2 and 212.67.203.246 to point
    to ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk and then set up your Apache Vhosts on
    ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk to recognise www.reelnorth.co.uk and serve up
    an appropriate page.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./sting_-_englishman_in_new_york.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Jul 25, 2004