css selecting text "inside" elements

Richard Wilson

Thanks to all who replied. I've changed the font-size to 100% and must
admit it's much better and it didn't have any bad effects in other
browsers. The site is very much a work in progress and I'll be back for
more critique when I feel it's nearly done.

Rich

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
You were saying that a lot of bad ideas still propagate though web
design and seen in "authoritative" books, like using XHMTL over HTML and
use of HTML comments within STYLE ans SCRIPT elements...

And that therefore:

<!--

-->

is bad?

And I was wondering if it was actually harmful.

Between the tags for both elements should play by the rules of their
respective contents. Where CSS will allow <!-- --> html comments,
JavaScript does not and throws an error. But the main point is the
reason for using such comments is not applicable! No one is using the
browser that was affected and the practice persists without the real
understanding for why?

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
But the main point is the
reason for using such comments is not applicable! No one is using the
browser that was affected and the practice persists without the real
understanding for why?

Yes, I know. It has been said millions of times. I gave up the practice
a long time ago. My text editor still gives a box you can tick to wrap
both styles and js in comments. I know this because I have gotten fed up
lately of typing and I made a key command to have BBEdit put in the
skeleton automatically.

This means that I use my editor and my keyboard to put in the opening
and closing style or script if I want to put some in the head of an html
document.