CSS Vs Tables

David

I have read a book advocating how great designing web pages in CSS
rather than tables is so great and I must admit I was rather
impressed.
HOWEVER the vast majority of websites I look at these days that are
done in CSS look to be honest CRAP!
I know its a new idea and will take time to get going and there are
some exceptions to the rule http://www.espn.com is a quality site done
in CSS, but there seems to be an awful lot of complex javascript there
as well!

The advantages to CSS are clear and the fact that Tables were never
intended to be used for design is clear. But basically I am just
intersted as the what the general feeling of the group is on this
subject.