Ctypes Install in Linux

Ernesto

I'm trying to install ctypes for Python in Linux. Linux won't let me
create /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ctypes ... "Permission
denied" ... Anyone know how I could get it to work? It's probably
something I need to chmod or change permissions on... Thanks!

jegenye2001

Most likely you're trying to do this as a non-root user and
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages must be writable only with root
privileges.

If you cannot go root on that machine then you could just install the
package in some directory you can write to and add the directory name
to your PYTHONPATH environment variable.

Cheers,
Miklos

Ernesto

Thanks for the help. I'm kind of new to Linux, but I am the only user
of this machine (just installed Red Hat). How do I make myself a
"root-user"?

For the second method you mentioned, how do I add access the PYTHONPATH
environment variable?

Thanks again!

jegenye2001

Uh, I suppose you need a bit of reading up on Linux. ;)

http://www.northernjourney.com/opensource/newbies/
http://www.linuxhelp.net/
etc.
How do I make myself a "root-user"?

To become root, use the "su" command. Obviously you'll need the root
password which you do know, don't you?
how do I add access the PYTHONPATH environment variable?

If you use the "bash" shell (probably you do) then type this in:
export PYTHONPATH=/path/to/dir1:/path/to/dir1

Mind you this setting will be valid only in that particular shell.
There are various ways to make this setting accessible to all shells
started. To find about these, that's left to the OP as an exercise.
:)

Cheers,
Miklos