Culture / Damn US! ASP.Net 2.0

Rob Meade

From your PC Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language Options, you will
be able to view the settings you have for the selected culture. You can
click on customize to change the settings for Number, Currency, Time, and
Date display formats. This should fix the problem. Let me know of the
outcome.

Hi Philip,

I @ work at the moment (downer!) - but I will give this a go when I get home
this evening, thank you...

Incidentally, what do I do if it shows it in there as dd/MM/yyyy - which is
the format I want, although it isn't the format that's displayed? (which
I'm suspecting it will do)...

Regards

Rob

Guest

Hi Rob,

Let's cross that bridge when we have to :)

But I think that this problem is most likely to be blamed on the Regional
and Language settings on your PC, because the outcome you wrote in the
culture name (i.e. your PC is picking the correct culture; no need to make
any other changes to the web.config settings).

Rob Meade

Let's cross that bridge when we have to :)

hehe, hi Phillip - guess what - we're crossing that bridge now!

I just checked the settings, clicked on "customize" and it displays short
date as dd/MM/yy (22/11/05 in the box) and long date as dd/MMMM/yyyy (22
November 2005 in the box)..
But I think that this problem is most likely to be blamed on the Regional
and Language settings on your PC, because the outcome you wrote in the
culture name (i.e. your PC is picking the correct culture; no need to make
any other changes to the web.config settings).

I would like to try my code on another machine also to see if the problem
goes away, alas I dont have another machine setup at the moment with .net
2.0 - and obviously after this trail of issues I dont really want to "go
there" yet :eek:)

So, with the above being displayed correctly, no mentioned of US anywhere in
the region settings on the laptop...any last ditch efforts?

Thanks for all of your help (and the rest of you guys) with this so far by
the way, really appreciate your efforts..

Regards

Rob

Rob Meade

Ok - so many moments have been spent on this, and by a lot of you - so
please except my gratitude and share these virtual <chocolates of your
choice> between you... :eek:)

Having been through the control panel, through region settings, through the
code, and all of the rest above nothing resolved the issue.

I am familiar with having to hack the registry for these things as we had a
load of problems at work previously where user accounts were always created
in US format etc...but I'd even gone through that and didn't find any that
were not set to country code 44...

Of course, when I was checking this, I didn't scroll to the bottom of the
list of values in each of the users....this evening, after finding a very
old article regarding this problem on NT4 / IIS4 I performed a regedit
search for "sShortDate" - it started iterating through the users that I'd
been through the other day when all of a sudden...

sShortDate - M/d/yy

WTF?!?!?!

So, I prompty changed that and hit refresh on the page - no
difference....damn it..

I stopped the debugger, closed the window, added to the @page reference
"culture" and "uiculture" as recommend about 2 billion posts above and low
and behold - my dates are no in "my" format......hooooraaayyyy..

A very large and sincere thank you to all - especially Phillip and Juan who
stuck with me :eek:)

Cheers all

Rob :eek:)

PS: The number of smilies in this post should indicate the degree of
cheshire cat smilyness on my face right now as everything is once again
working - yay!!!