Culture Questions. en-US.

Shapper

Hello,

I am working on a multi-language web site.
After a lot of searching and reading I was able to define a way to do
this.

However, I need some help to put this on. I am working on ASP.Net/VB.

I have a few problems which I hope somebody can help me with:
1. How to set the en-US as the default culture of my entire web site?
2. How to detect the culture of a visitor browser and overwrite the
default?
If the user has a cookie placed by my web site I will use that one.
3. How to create a function (can be ran when a button is clicked) which:
3.1. Sets a new culture.
3.2. Places a cookie indicating which cookie is used.
3.3. Refreshes current page and uses the new culture used.
4. How can I retrieve in a ASPX page which culture is in use.

I have the plan. The problem is how to this.

Can someone help me out?

Thank You Very Much,
Miguel

Gabriel Lozano-Morán

Some of the answers

To get and set the culture:

For default culture en-US:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<globalization
fileEncoding="utf-8"
requestEncoding="utf-8"
responseEncoding="utf-8"
culture="en-US"
uiCulture="de-US"
/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

To set a new culture in an ASPX page:

<%@ Import Namespace="System.Threading" %>
Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new CultureInfo("nl-BE")

To retrieve the culture in an ASPX page:
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Threading" %>
CultureInfo.CurrentCulture
or
Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture

Gabriel Lozano-Morán

Shapper

Gabriel.

What is the uiCulture?

Thanks,
Miguel

P.S: Does anyone knows about the rest? Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

culture = default culture for processing incoming Web requests.
uiCulture = default culture for processing locale-dependent resource searches.