Custom validation control question.

peter

Hi:

I'm not sure how to control the following behavior..
Sequence of events [1-3] are working properly #4 is the problem:

1] User enters invalid data in a textbox and click submit
2] Server side validation runs, and the page is redisplayed the
CustomValidator.ErrorMessage is displayed because validation failed.
3] The user then corrects the data and resubmitts the page successfully and
the page redirects to a new page.

everything is ok so far, but if

4] the user then clicks the Back button on their browser, when the first
page is redisplayed, CustomValidator.ErrorMessage is visible on the first
page even though the data has been corrected.

Any ideas appreciated,

Thanks
peter

bruce barker

the best approach is to add a client validation routine, so there is no
postback. you can expire the page, but then the back button will give
the repost data message.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Peter,

As Bruce has suggested, one way to prevent this behavior is disable client
output cache in your page , thus whenever you click back button at client
browwer after a postback, it should display the expired page screen.

Also, another means you can consider is manually use Response.Redirect to
relocate the page to the current location. e.g.

============
#postback handler
{
//after finishing work

Response.Redirect(the page want to display);
}
=============

Also, this can help prevent resubmit the page when user click refresh
button.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Peter,

Have you got any progress on this issue or does the suggestion in previous
messages help some? If there is anything else we can help, please feel free
to post here.