cxxtest in ruby?

pat eyler

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you looking for something
other than Test::Unit?

-pate

Shalev NessAiver

I have been forced by the powers-that-be to learn Java.

Coming from Ruby, I am sure I will be going mad sometime in the near
future.

To prevent this looming insanity from taking hold, I send a plea t
fellow Ruby users.
Is there some book out there somewhere that will teach Java without
making me go
mad from comparing it to Ruby?

[As an added note, I am already well aware of OO concepts, as well as
knowing C/C++.
Thus, the type of syntax and the concepts are already familiar to me.
I just need something
that'll get me introduced to the peculiarities of this particular
language.]

-Thanks
Shalev

James Edward Gray II

To prevent this looming insanity from taking hold, I send a plea t
fellow Ruby users.
Is there some book out there somewhere that will teach Java without
making me go
mad from comparing it to Ruby?

I learned Java quite some time ago, so I'm not up on the modern good
books. However, Sun's online tutorial isn't too bad. You can find it
here:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Hope that helps.

James

Mark Probert

Hi ..

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you looking for something
other than Test::Unit?

cxxtest is a unit testing framework for C++ that is written in Perl. It is a
very nice tool and, given that there is a Python version, I was wondering if
anyone had ported it to Ruby. If not, then I will consider doing so as I
would, potentially, like to extend it.

Regards,

Bill Kelly

From: "Shalev NessAiver said:
I have been forced by the powers-that-be to learn Java.

Coming from Ruby, I am sure I will be going mad sometime in the near
future.

Probably so. Just be thankful they aren't making you
learn VB6. ;)
To prevent this looming insanity from taking hold, I send a plea t
fellow Ruby users.
Is there some book out there somewhere that will teach Java without
making me go
mad from comparing it to Ruby?

[As an added note, I am already well aware of OO concepts, as well as
knowing C/C++.
Thus, the type of syntax and the concepts are already familiar to me.
I just need something
that'll get me introduced to the peculiarities of this particular
language.]

The Java books I have are out-of-date. I hear they may
have finally added generics to the language (ala C++ templates),
which would be nice.

Anyway, keep in mind that with Jython or JRuby you can at the
very least bring up an interpreter and experiment with the Java
class libraries in an interactive environment.

(Depending on how nosy the powers-that-be are, maybe you can
even write some of your Java code in JRuby :)

Regards,

Bill

Miles Keaton

I have been forced by the powers-that-be to learn Java.
Is there some book out there somewhere that will teach Java without
making me go mad from comparing it to Ruby?

Shalev -

I recently bought a "Head First" book on Design Patterns. The "Head
First" series is SO good - SUCH a great way to learn something,
especially when you've already got a resentful attitude, and you're
going to need some help making it fun.

Try to go down to a bookstore to see this book in person:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hfjava2/
... or at very least download the two sample chapters in PDF, there.

I can highly recommend it, and if you look over at Amazon, you'll see
that almost everyone else does, too.