Cyclic redundancy check (CRC32) of a file

Paul Golea

Hello,

I try to calculate the CRC32 of a file with a script ruby, but I does
not obtain the good result by comparison with many of the other software
which already make this (in other programming language...), for example:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/crc32.aspx

I use this script :
_____________________

require 'zlib'
filetest = File.read 'image.jpg'
puts Zlib.crc32(filetest, 0).to_s(16).upcase
_____________________

The result looks like well of an CRC32 but it is never good...

I also try a pure ruby implementation with this code but it makes
exactly the zlib.crc32 result... :
_____________________

def crc32(c)
n = c.length
r = 0xFFFFFFFF
n.times do |i|
r ^= c
8.times do
if (r & 1)!=0
r = (r>>1) ^ 0xEDB88320
else
r >>= 1
end
end
end
r ^ 0xFFFFFFFF
end

filetest = File.read 'image.jpg'
puts crc32(filetest).to_s(16).upcase
_____________________

Thank you very much to the person who will have the solution of my
problem.

F. Senault

Le 23 février 2009 à 10:44, Paul Golea a écrit :
Thank you very much to the person who will have the solution of my
problem.

If you are under Windows, you need to open the file in binary mode.
(Well, arguably, you always need to open binary files in binary mode).

For instance :

Z:\>ruby -v

Z:\>irb=> true
=> "332c7941"
=> "5ba68c3c"

And the second CRC corresponds to what other tools give me.

Fred

Paul Golea

F. Senault said:
And the second CRC corresponds to what other tools give me.

Fred

Excellent!
I didn't know that File.read opened "badly" files under Windows...

Thank you very much.

Rob Biedenharn

Excellent!
I didn't know that File.read opened "badly" files under Windows...

Thank you very much.

Change this:
f = File.read('bibi.jpg') ; nil

to this: (mode of 'r', not 'rb')
f = nil
File.open('bibi.jpg', 'r') { |h| f = h.read } ; nil

And you'll get the same result. File.read is not the problem, but the
use of text mode (which is the default). Under Unix, there is no
difference between text mode and binary mode, but the line endings
under Windows are \015\012.

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)