Data from DB

Shelly

I am coming from the world of php, so please bear with me here.

In php, we open a connection to the db server with a connect function
(passing in the parameters). Then we select the database with another
function call. We then query the database with the SQL values in a sql
calling function and get back a resource (like a dataset). That resource
can be expanded to get all the column values requested for as many rows as
are pulled back.

How is it done in ASP.NET. I will have a button to click and that will
bring me to a method to access the database. How do I formulate the
interrogation (knowing the SQL call) so that I can then set values of
specific controls in the form from the values I get in the method? (I know
how to set them once I get them and I know SQL). What I am looking for is a
the set of calls (like mysql_connect, mysql_select_db, mysql_query and so on
in php).

I know about a connection control as I have used the GridView. However,
that gives the boundfields directly.

Shelly

Shelly

Thanks. That looks like what I was asking for. I'll try it later and
report.
Shelly

Shelly

I succeeded. There were a few little things that I had to learn in the
process, such as where to put the Imports statements, but I got it going.
Thanks again.