Database on remote server

Tor Inge Rislaa

Database on remote server

On the remote server where my ASP.NET application is located there is no SQL
Server or SQL Server Express. When I test my application locally it works
fine because I have the SQL Server Express 2005 on my computer, but when I
deploy it I am getting error message telling me that there are some problems
connecting to the database. I have done the preparation on my SQL Server to
allow remote connection to the database. I am wondering if I understand the
problem right. The file located in my application with the extension .MDF
needs a service running on the remote server to allow my application to
connect to it (e.g SQL Server and SQL Server Browser services) .

Can anyone explain to me how this works? Do I need to create the same
database on the Database server at my ISP and change the connectionstring in
my application?

-DataBaseServer and WebServer are not the same server but I have access to
both

-The Webserver supports ASP.NET 2.0

TIRislaa

Chip

So if you don't have SQL Server on your remote machine, where are you trying
to connect to? Back to your dev machine? For the most part, your database
needs to be on your operational .NET server or on another operational server
that has a dedicated database. Typically you develop using something like
SQL desktop on your dev machine, using one connection string (local) and
then change the connection string to your ops database when you compile your
app for publishing.

If you can tell me more about your setup, I can help you more.

Chip

Tor Inge Rislaa

The Web server and the Database server are on the same network at my ISP but
it is not on the same IP Address. Instead of referring to local host I need
to point to the server by using IP address or DNS name .

By default, user information (used for roles, users by login controls) is
stored in a Microsoft SQL Server Express database in the Data folder of the
Web site. Is it possible to store the data in a remote SQL Server 2005
instead of the SQL Server Express database on your local computer?

TIRislaa