database with c++ dynamic serving

dreadrocksean

the subject is a bit misleading. this is my situation:
right now i have my "Gig" database (im a musician) in FMPro. i want
this online so heres what i do now:

1/ i manually run a simple script in FMPro that exports the database to

a file named, say, "gig_export.txt".
2/ i run a small c++ app that i wrote. it automatically imports the
"gig_export.txt" file, parses it and writes an interactive calendar in
javascript inbedded in HTML to a file "calendar.html".
3/ i then manually upload "calendar.html" to my webserver.

the following is what i would like:
1/ i would like the database to be online and represented with an
attractive frontend for a few administrators to edit (booking agents
for my band, manager, myself etc.). this of course is not seen by the
public and can only be accessed with a password.
2/ on my band website, i would like the link that is normally addressed

to "calendar.html" to instead be addressed to "my_c++_app".
3/ hopefully this would dynamically serve my java calendar webpage from

the database on the server.

i understand that i may have to port my c++ app to php. what i dont
understand is why, according to a guy i spoke to last night who runs an

FMPro server, the app cannot speak to the database. he also said it
cant even trigger the script that would export the file to something it

CAN access. he mentioned also that he may be able to write something
that would periodically export the file on the server side (once every
hour) and the exported file would be the target of the php script.

this is absurd to me. someone please help. this is 2006. why cant a
gateway script written in cgi or php simply access a database with the
popularity of FMPro7 and serve a damn webpage. cmon.

do i really have to abandon FMPro and go SQL for this??????

loufoque

dreadrocksean a écrit :
this is absurd to me. someone please help. this is 2006. why cant a
gateway script written in cgi or php simply access a database with the
popularity of FMPro7 and serve a damn webpage. cmon.
> do i really have to abandon FMPro and go SQL for this??????

Be aware that I don't know anything about FMPro, so what I say may not
make sense.

Basically, you want to be able to write web pages communicating with
your FMPro7 database rather than a traditional RDBMS.
I think the best way would be to write a php module in C (I doubt there
is an API for C++), then code your php pages with that module. You could
use Java or whatever else instead of PHP if you wish (Java might
actually be fast enough not to need a C module).

Unless, of course, you're part of the kind that likes to write web pages
with C++ through CGI.
Then, you would only need to to write your pages with your FMPro7 database.

Syncing the database on your personal computer and the one on the server
is another problem.
It would be handy if FMPro7 could directly use the database on the server.

BigBrian

dreadrocksean said:
this is absurd to me. someone please help. this is 2006. why cant a
gateway script written in cgi or php simply access a database with the
popularity of FMPro7 and serve a damn webpage. cmon.

This is the wrong place to ask this question. If you can't access your
database, it's a problem with your database, not C++.

dreadrocksean

remember i already have a c++ program. im willing to do it in php.
cant lasso interface the 2? the c++ app and the database?
and BigBrian, u didnt read and understand. im asking now IF theres a
way to link my app TO FMPro's info LIVE online.

Alf P. Steinbach

* dreadrocksean:
remember i already have a c++ program. im willing to do it in php.
cant lasso interface the 2? the c++ app and the database?
and BigBrian, u didnt read and understand. im asking now IF theres a
way to link my app TO FMPro's info LIVE online.

Sorry, you're off-topic here.

This group deals with C++.

For quality answers, try to find some group dealing with FMPro, e.g.
[comp.databases.filemaker] (which I found by /asking Google/).