    Can someone point me in the right direction.

    Thank you

    - Nicolaas

    WindAndWaves, Oct 26, 2004

  2. WindAndWaves

    brucie Guest

    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

    --
    brucie{display:nude;voice-family:'many little';speech-rate:x-fast;}

    brucie, Oct 26, 2004

  3. On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:04:56 +1300, WindAndWaves wrote:

    > I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
    > website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
    >
    > I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty of
    > experience with HTML.

    Ultimately, the easiest way is probably to hire someone who knows what
    they are doing.

    Questions for you:
    *Why* do you want to connect a database to a website? Do you have a
    real need for this? Or is it just a cool neat thing that you could do or
    that you heard you should do or the pointy-haired boss wants just because
    he was in a technobabbly marketing meeting and he heard some flashy
    technology keywords?

    My point here is that, just becasue it *can* be done, doesn't mean it
    *should* be done.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 26, 2004
  4. WindAndWaves

    Dan Abrey Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Gurus
    >
    > I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
    > website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
    >
    > I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty of
    > experience with HTML.
    >
    > Can someone point me in the right direction.

    If you are a complete newbie with database interaction then I would suggest
    MS Access and Coldfusion.

    Dan Abrey, Oct 27, 2004
  5. In article <6rofd.2790$>,
    says...
    > I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
    > website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).

    Depends on what you have on your host. The easiest way would include
    some server side scripting language as well as some database. The
    process with any of these will be almost exactly the same, the only
    difference will be syntax.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Oct 27, 2004
  6. WindAndWaves

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Dan Abrey wrote:
    > "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Gurus
    >>
    >> I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect
    >> a website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
    >>
    >> I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty
    >> of experience with HTML.
    >>
    >> Can someone point me in the right direction.

    > If you are a complete newbie with database interaction then I would
    > suggest MS Access and Coldfusion.

    Hahaha. Coldfusion is NZ$2,500. PHP and MySQL are pretty damn easy. There
    is a metric shitload of resources and tutorials for both on the 'net. Lots
    of them are specifically about using the two together.

    Nik Coughin, Oct 27, 2004
  7. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    "Jeffrey Silverman" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:04:56 +1300, WindAndWaves wrote:
    >
    > > I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect a
    > > website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
    > >
    > > I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty of
    > > experience with HTML.

    > Ultimately, the easiest way is probably to hire someone who knows what
    > they are doing.
    >
    > Questions for you:
    > *Why* do you want to connect a database to a website? Do you have a
    > real need for this? Or is it just a cool neat thing that you could do or
    > that you heard you should do or the pointy-haired boss wants just because
    > he was in a technobabbly marketing meeting and he heard some flashy
    > technology keywords?
    >
    > My point here is that, just becasue it *can* be done, doesn't mean it
    > *should* be done.
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    > Website | http://www.newtnotes.com
    >
    > Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    It is a site with about 500 pages that should be able to be searched - I
    will create most pages without a database, but ultimately, it will be by far
    the best way of doing it.

    WindAndWaves, Oct 27, 2004
  8. WindAndWaves

    Dan Abrey Guest

    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Dan Abrey wrote:
    > > "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Gurus
    > >>
    > >> I am wondering what is the cleanest,easy and simplest way to connect
    > >> a website to a database (PHP + MySQL???).
    > >>
    > >> I have little experience with the above (only MS Access), but plenty
    > >> of experience with HTML.
    > >>
    > >> Can someone point me in the right direction.

    > > If you are a complete newbie with database interaction then I would
    > > suggest MS Access and Coldfusion.

    > Hahaha. Coldfusion is NZ$2,500. PHP and MySQL are pretty damn easy.

    There
    > is a metric shitload of resources and tutorials for both on the 'net.

    Lots
    > of them are specifically about using the two together.

    As a newbie I found Coldfusion the perfect stepping stone from HTML to
    dynamic languages.

    Dan Abrey, Oct 27, 2004