Databinding to a custom control...

kieron

Hi,

I've written a control that consists of a few textboxes, a dropdown box and
two radiobuttons. They make up the details of a contact, I want to be able
to bind a datasource such as a dataset or datareader to it and be able to
update/ add records. This control will serve as a detail control within a
master/ detail page and as the main control on another. Could someone please
advise me on the best course to take...

Regards
Kieron

Howling Software Ltd.

Scott

Kieron,

I am working through similar issues and have posted some topics on this
forum recently, so I will be watching this string for tips on what I am
doing as well.

I have been reading on this topic full time since Monday and I found the
following helpful, although not complete in answering my questions. Maybe
they will help you:

http://www.asp.net/Tutorials/quickstart.aspx (look at the "Authoring Custom
Controls" section)

l/cpcondevelopingtemplateddataboundcontrol.asp?frame=true (I found this
unusually confusing for an article that starts off: "it is easy to bind a
property of a control...." ha ha ha. It appears to be more definative, but
I found it hard to follow.)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319626&Product=vsnet
(I liked this one. Simple and I was able to get it to work... I am
currently working off of this model for my project, but it doesn't bind to
the database)

I wish there was an 'easy-to-follow' explaination on how to do this. If you
find any good links let me know.

Scott

"kieron . software.com>"

kieron

Hi,

thanks for the reply, just looking through them now. If i find anything
useful i'll post back to the group.

Kieron