DataGrid (body only) contained in <span>...</span> tags

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Dan Bishop, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Dan Bishop

    Dan Bishop Guest

    Hi,

    I have a DataGrid control that displays many records. As such, I have
    been given a requirement to contain only the body of my DataGrid
    control within <span> tags (this enables us to use a scroll bar to
    look through the records in the datagrid, instead of using paging).

    My problem is this: How can I get the header for the DataGrid to be
    displayed outside the <span>? I do not know if this is possible with
    the ASP.NET built-in DataGrid control, but I would be most interested
    in learning possible solutions... the current code that I am using is
    posted below. It shows the DataGrid entirely wrapped in the <span>,
    meaning that the Header is not visible once you scroll down a little
    bit...

    CODE:
    <asp:DataGrid ID="dgIssueListing" GridLines="Both" BorderWidth="2px"
    CssClass="regularText" AutoGenerateColumns="False" AllowSorting="True"
    AllowPaging="False" ShowHeader="True"
    ShowFooter="False"Runat="server">
    <Columns>
    <asp:ButtonColumn ButtonType="LinkButton" CommandName="Select"
    Visible="False"></asp:ButtonColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="ID" SortExpression="issueID">
    <HeaderStyle HorizontalAlign="Center"></HeaderStyle>
    <ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" Width="25px"></ItemStyle>
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label ID="lblIssueID" Width="25px" Text='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "issueID")%>' Runat="server"
    CssClass="regularText">
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="Status" DataField="status"
    SortExpression="status" HeaderStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center"
    ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center"
    ItemStyle-Width="45px"></asp:BoundColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="Priority" DataField="priority"
    SortExpression="priority" HeaderStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center"
    ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center"
    ItemStyle-Width="45px"></asp:BoundColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="Task" DataField="taskDesc"
    SortExpression="taskDesc" ItemStyle-Width="120px"></asp:BoundColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="Subject" DataField="issueSubj"
    SortExpression="issueSubj" ItemStyle-Width="275px"></asp:BoundColumn>
    </Columns>
    <HeaderStyle BackColor="Gray" ForeColor="White"
    Font-Bold="True"></HeaderStyle>
    </asp:DataGrid>

    Many Thanks,
    -Dan Bishop

    Dan Bishop, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Dan Bishop

    Kilic Beg Guest

    you can create another datagrid before the <span> tag and display only the
    header there...
    you should clear (delete all rows) from your dataset before you bind to the
    header DataGrid...

    or also...
    you create a <DIV> tag before the <span> tag and move the header there with
    javascript...
    below is the code....
    =================================
    <script language="javascript>
    var dg = document.getElementById("dgIssueListing");
    var dgTbl = dg.getElementsByTagName("table");
    dgTbl= dgTbl[0];

    var rowcopy = dgTbl.rows[0].cloneNode(true);
    DivHeaderTbl.rows[0].appendChild(rowcopy);

    dgTbl.rows[0].removeNode();
    DivHeaderTbl.moveRow(1,0);
    </script>

    ---------