datagrid checkbox list edit item not working

cindy

I am using asp template columns. I display box values from a lookup table.
The datagrid displays field "bookid" and the checkbox displays "category"
field for the book. The category field is a string concatenation of category
values such as CT,MR,NM or just CT
When the grid goes into edit mode I use the itemdatabound to determine
whether to set checkbox as selected based on the value of the category field.
((CheckBoxList)e.Item.Cells[0].FindControl("cbl1")).SelectedValue =
ds.Tables[0].Rows[cnt]["Category"].ToString();
Ok if category = CT How do I get an array into the itemdatabound with comma
delimiter so CT,MR for example will see values as CT and a MR:
The update command for the grid builds the string by looping thru the
selected values from the checkbox. Am I completely missing a better way?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
As for the problem you mentioned, I think your current approach on using
the DataGrid's ItemDatabound event is reasonable since we need to do some
complex data maniplating and bind to CheckBoxList. As for the string
concatenation data field, I think you can use the .NET string class's
"Split" and "Join" method which can help divide concatenation string into
string[] array or combine string[] array into single string (by specific
separator chars).

Hope helps. thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support