Datagrid Paging Event Doesn't Fire

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Ravik Tupja, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Ravik Tupja

    Ravik Tupja Guest

    Hello,

    I have been using a datagrid to page through the results of a query.
    Coding standards prevent me from setting the properties of the
    datagrid and binding data to the datagrid in the Page_Load method. I
    instead create and bind data to the datagrid in other methods (such as
    the getData method) which are called after the Page_Load method is
    executed. My problem is that the PageIndexChanged event handler of
    the datagrid does not fire. I can see the first page of the results
    just fine. However if I click on the next page link, I get a blank
    page with no datagrid. I have checked, and I found out that the
    PageIndexChanged event handler does not fire.

    Here is the most important part of the aspx page:

    <%
    setConnectionMgr(objConnectionMgr)
    setDict(Dict)
    loadUI()
    getData()
    %>
    <form runat="server" id="form1">
    <asp:datagrid runat="server"
    OnPageIndexChanged="EmployeeInfoDataGrid_PageIndexChanged"
    id="EmployeeInfoDataGrid" borderColor="gray" cellspacing="1"
    cellpadding="4" width="450" CssClass="InnerTable"
    AutoGenerateColumns="false" AllowPaging="true"
    AllowCustomPaging="false" EnableViewState="true">
    <HeaderStyle CssClass="headerRow"/>
    <ItemStyle BackColor="Gainsboro"/>
    <AlternatingItemStyle BackColor="#ffffff"/>
    </asp:datagrid>
    </form>

    Here is the code-behind page:

    Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient

    Public Class ViewTelephoneList
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    Protected WithEvents LanguageHyperLink As HyperLink
    Protected WithEvents LanguageLabel As Label
    Protected WithEvents table1 As Table
    Protected WithEvents PageLabel As Label
    Protected WithEvents EmployeeInfoDataGrid As DataGrid
    Protected WithEvents table2 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Table
    Protected WithEvents PreviousHyperLink As HyperLink

    InitializeComponent()
    End Sub

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form
    Designer
    InitializeComponent()
    End Sub

    #End Region

    Protected sFileName = "ViewTelePhoneList.aspx"
    Protected sSection As String = "People"
    Protected iNumItems As Integer = 0
    Protected iCounter As Integer = 0
    Protected iPageNumber As Integer = 0
    Protected iPageSize As Int16 = 0
    Protected iTotalRecords As Integer = 0
    Protected sActionPage As String = ""
    Protected sAddEditPage As String = ""
    Protected sPageNameSingular As String = "Contact"
    Protected sPageNamePlural As String = "Contacts"
    Protected sAlternatingColour As String = ""
    Protected sInActiveStr As String = ""

    Protected objEmployees As Employees
    Protected objArray() As Employee

    Protected Dict As Dict

    Protected objConnectionMgr As util.ConnectionMgr

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Session("section") = sSection

    End Sub

    Protected Sub getData()
    Dim sEmployeeFirstName As String =
    Request.QueryString("firstname")
    Dim sEmployeeLastName As String =
    Request.QueryString("lastname")
    Dim iLocationId As String = Request.QueryString("locationid")
    Dim iDivisionId As String = Request.QueryString("divisionid")
    Dim iDirectorateId As String =
    Request.QueryString("directorateid")

    Dim bConditionFound = False
    Dim sSqlString As String

    sSqlString = "SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEE"

    If (sEmployeeFirstName <> "" Or sEmployeeLastName <> "" Or
    iLocationId <> "0" Or iDivisionId <> "0" Or iDirectorateId <> "0")
    Then
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " WHERE IS_ACTIVE=1 AND"
    End If

    If (iDirectorateId <> "0" And bConditionFound = True) Then
    sSqlString = "SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEE INNER JOIN
    DIVISION_STATIC ON EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE_DIVISION_ID = DIVISION_STATIC.ID
    WHERE DIVISION_STATIC.DIVISION_DIRECTORATE_ID = '" & iDirectorateId &
    "'"
    ElseIf (iDirectorateId <> "0" And bConditionFound = False)
    Then
    bConditionFound = True
    sSqlString = "SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEE INNER JOIN
    DIVISION_STATIC ON EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE_DIVISION_ID = DIVISION_STATIC.ID
    WHERE DIVISION_STATIC.DIVISION_DIRECTORATE_ID = '" & iDirectorateId &
    "'"
    End If

    If (sEmployeeFirstName <> "" And bConditionFound = True) Then
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " AND EMPLOYEE_FIRST_NAME Like
    '" & sEmployeeFirstName & "%'"
    ElseIf (sEmployeeFirstName <> "" And bConditionFound = False)
    Then
    bConditionFound = True
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " EMPLOYEE_FIRST_NAME Like '" &
    sEmployeeFirstName & "%'"
    End If

    If (sEmployeeLastName <> "" And bConditionFound = True) Then
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " AND EMPLOYEE_LAST_NAME Like '"
    & sEmployeeLastName & "%'"
    ElseIf (sEmployeeLastName <> "" And bConditionFound = False)
    Then
    bConditionFound = True
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " EMPLOYEE_LAST_NAME Like '" &
    sEmployeeLastName & "%'"
    End If

    If (iDivisionId <> "0" And bConditionFound = True) Then
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " AND EMPLOYEE_DIVISION_ID ='" &
    iDivisionId & "'"
    ElseIf (iDivisionId <> "0" And bConditionFound = False) Then
    bConditionFound = True
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " EMPLOYEE_DIVISION_ID = '" &
    iDivisionId & "'"
    End If

    If (iLocationId <> "0" And bConditionFound = True) Then
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " AND EMPLOYEE_LOCATION_ID = '"
    & iLocationId & "'"
    ElseIf (iLocationId <> "0" And bConditionFound = False) Then
    bConditionFound = True
    sSqlString = sSqlString & " EMPLOYEE_LOCATION_ID = '" &
    iLocationId & "'"
    End If

    sSqlString = sSqlString & " ORDER BY EMPLOYEE_LAST_NAME"

    objEmployees = New Employees(objConnectionMgr)
    objArray = objEmployees.getEmployees(sSqlString)
    iNumItems = objEmployees.getNumberOfEmployees()
    iTotalRecords = objEmployees.getTotalRecords()

    Initialize_EmployeeInfoDataGrid()

    If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
    BindData()
    End If

    End Sub

    Private Sub BindData()
    Dim objTable As DataTable
    Dim objDataRow As DataRow
    Dim i As Integer = 0

    'objTable = objDataSet.Tables.Add("EmployeeInfo")
    objTable = New DataTable("EMPLOYEE")
    objTable.Columns.Add("EMPLOYEE_LAST_NAME",
    System.Type.GetType("System.String"))
    objTable.Columns.Add("EMPLOYEE_FIRST_NAME",
    System.Type.GetType("System.String"))
    objTable.Columns.Add("EMPLOYEE_PHONE_NUMBER",
    System.Type.GetType("System.String"))
    objTable.Columns.Add("LABEL_" & Session("Lang"),
    System.Type.GetType("System.String"))
    objTable.Columns.Add("DIVISION_CODE_" & Session("Lang"),
    System.Type.GetType("System.String"))

    For i = 0 To iNumItems - 1
    objDataRow = objTable.NewRow()
    objDataRow("EMPLOYEE_LAST_NAME") =
    objArray(i).getEmployeeLastName()
    objDataRow("EMPLOYEE_FIRST_NAME") =
    objArray(i).getEmployeeFirstName()
    objDataRow("EMPLOYEE_PHONE_NUMBER") =
    objArray(i).getEmployeePhoneNumber()
    objDataRow("LABEL_" & Session("Lang")) =
    objArray(i).getLocation().getLabel()
    objDataRow("DIVISION_CODE_" & Session("Lang")) =
    objArray(i).getdivision().getdivisionCode()
    objTable.Rows.Add(objDataRow)
    Next

    'Bind data to datagrid
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.DataSource = objTable.DefaultView
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.DataBind()
    End Sub

    Private Sub Initialize_EmployeeInfoDataGrid()
    Dim objColumn As BoundColumn
    Dim Dict As New Dict()

    objColumn = New BoundColumn()
    objColumn.HeaderText = Dict.sPeopleVTLLastName
    objColumn.DataField = "EMPLOYEE_LAST_NAME"
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.Columns.Add(objColumn)

    objColumn = New BoundColumn()
    objColumn.HeaderText = Dict.sPeopleVTLFirstName
    objColumn.DataField = "EMPLOYEE_FIRST_NAME"
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.Columns.Add(objColumn)

    objColumn = New BoundColumn()
    objColumn.HeaderText = Dict.sPeopleVTLPhoneNumber
    objColumn.DataField = "EMPLOYEE_PHONE_NUMBER"
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.Columns.Add(objColumn)

    objColumn = New BoundColumn()
    objColumn.HeaderText = Dict.sPeopleVTLLocationName
    objColumn.DataField = "LABEL_" & Session("Lang")
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.Columns.Add(objColumn)

    objColumn = New BoundColumn()
    objColumn.HeaderText = Dict.sPeopleVTLGroup
    objColumn.DataField = "DIVISION_CODE_" & Session("Lang")
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.Columns.Add(objColumn)

    Dim objDGPagerStyle As DataGridPagerStyle =
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.PagerStyle
    objDGPagerStyle.NextPageText = "[" & Dict.Nextt & "]"
    objDGPagerStyle.PrevPageText = "[" & Dict.Previous & "]"

    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.PageSize =
    ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("PAGE_SIZE")

    End Sub

    Protected Sub setConnectionMgr(ByRef pobjConnectionMgr As
    util.ConnectionMgr)
    objConnectionMgr = pobjConnectionMgr
    End Sub

    Protected Sub setDict(ByRef pDict As Dict)
    Dict = pDict
    End Sub

    Protected Sub loadUI()
    'load label text
    LanguageLabel.Text = Dict.sTBLanguage

    'load hyperlink urls
    LanguageHyperLink.NavigateUrl =
    ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("Root") & "LanguageToggle.aspx"
    PreviousHyperLink.NavigateUrl = "TelephoneList.aspx"
    PreviousHyperLink.Text = Dict.sReturnToTelephoneList
    End Sub

    Protected Sub EmployeeInfoDataGrid_PageIndexChanged(ByVal sender
    As Object, ByVal e As DataGridPageChangedEventArgs) Handles
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.PageIndexChanged
    EmployeeInfoDataGrid.CurrentPageIndex = e.NewPageIndex
    BindData()
    End Sub

    End Class

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Ravik Tupja
    4th Year Software Engineering
    Carleton University

    Ravik Tupja, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Ravik Tupja

    Kilic Beg Guest

    did you attached an eventhandler to the PageIndexChanged event ?..
    this.datagrid.PageIndexChanged += new
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridPageChangedEventHandler(EmployeeInfoDataGr
    id_PageIndexChanged);

    Kilic Beg, Jun 10, 2004