DataItem is NULL, problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    hi

    asp.net 2.0

    I have a GridView on a webpage. This GridView has a TemplateField which
    again contain a LinkButton. When I click on that LinkButton I want some
    action to take place on that row the LinkButton exists. When I click on the
    LinkButton the lbCar_Command method is triggered. But in this line the
    variable car gets a NULL value:
    CarDetail car = (CarDetail)row.DataItem;
    I thought DataItem existed for every row, as I'm using DataItem in the
    RowDataBound

    protected void gvwCars_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e)
    CarDetail car = (CarDetail)e.Row.DataItem;
    LinkButton button = (LinkButton)e.Row.FindControl("lbCar");
    button.CommandArgument = e.Row.RowIndex.ToString();

    protected void lbCar_Command(object sender, CommandEventArgs e)
    {
    int rowIndex = Int32.Parse(e.CommandArgument.ToString());
    GridView grid = (GridView)LoginView1.FindControl("gvwCars");
    GridViewRow row = grid.Rows[rowIndex];
    CarDetail car = (CarDetail)row.DataItem;
    }

    (I don't want to create a separate field in the GridView with ButtonField
    instead, as it will change the GUI of this GridView entirely, this GridView
    have only one column but it's a TemplateField containing serveral controls
    and divs)

    Any suggestions?
    Jeff, Oct 13, 2008

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    okay I've kind of solved this problem. I made a workaround the problem.
    instead of having rownumber stored in commandargument, I instead placed a
    primary key value. Anyway it's this id I need in that command...
    Jeff, Oct 13, 2008