datalist binding auto

Guest

hey all,
i have a simple datalist on my web page that's attached to a sqldatasource
that i specified on the quick task menu for the datalist. The datalist
contains a linkbutton (command name = select) inside the item template and a
label for the selectedItem template. And i have a just a regular button on
the page to simulate a postback.

here's the part i don't understand. when i click on the link button the
styles appear reflect the dataitem as selected but the linkbutton is still
there. if i hit the button to do a post back the selecteditem template is
then active which contains the label representation of the dataitem.

why didn't the click of the linkbutton activate the selecteditem template?

thanks,
rodchar