Date and null

teser3

I have a Date variable in a JavaBean that works with a Oracle
Database.
If there is a Date value in the database it shows in the JSP with no
problems.
But if there is no value in the Date value it gives me a null error in
the JSP.
How do I account for null with a Date object?

If there is not Date value I still want the page to show the Date
Title with nothing there.
For example:
JSP view example if there is a Date value:
Submit Date: June 25, 2007

JSP view example if there is not a Date value should show like this
but it doesnt show and gives me a null error:
Submit Date:

My classes and JSP:

Bean:

private Date subDate;

public String getSubDate(){
SimpleDateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat ("MMMM dd,
yyyy");
return formatter.format(this.subDate);
}

/*
Also tried this just to put a value in there if null but it didnt
work:
public String getSubDate(){
if((subDate == null)
{
subDate = null;
}
SimpleDateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat ("MMMM dd,
yyyy");
return formatter.format(this.subDate);
}

*/

public void setSubDate(String subDate){
this.subDate= subDate;
}

Helper class:

while(rs.next()){
AddressRowBean row = new AddressRowBean();
row.setSubDate(rs.getDate("subDate"));

JSP Bean call:

Submit Date: <jsp:getProperty name="projectObject"
property="subDate" />