Dave G, I dispair!!!

kchayka

Neredbojias said:
text-indent: -5000px; /* hide text from css enabled browsers */

That's a method of image-replacement, one of the more bad ones, methinks
(no method is actually good, some are just less bad than others). This
one leaves the visitor with nothing when image loading is disabled. :(

SpaceGirl

Jonathan said:
One quick question Toby, how did you come to notice this? ;-)

He wrote it? :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, kchayka quothed:
That's a method of image-replacement, one of the more bad ones, methinks
(no method is actually good, some are just less bad than others). This
one leaves the visitor with nothing when image loading is disabled. :(

I'd say bad indeed. Why not just display:none; it if nothing else?

Els

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, kchayka quothed:

I'd say bad indeed. Why not just display:none; it if nothing else?

If it's used to hide text from screen-readers: several (if not most)
screenreaders will parse the display:none; style as well.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:
Make that "if it's used to hide text from graphical browsers but
display it for screen-readers:"

But a screen-reader wouldn't parse the text-indent line?

Els

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:

But a screen-reader wouldn't parse the text-indent line?

Nope. A screen-reader just reads out what is there, in the order it is
in. It doesn't tell the reader: "the next paragraph is a little bit to
the right". It also does't tell you if something is placed off-screen.
I use position:absolute;top:-1000px;left:-100px; for 'invisible links'
myself. I guess that ultimately, a screen-reader can do a lot, but not
detect your screensize and/or window size, font-size and scrollbar
position, and calculate whether a certain position of an element is
still visible to the visitor or not.
I guess they could implement that too, but so far it doesn't look like
they did.

You can download Jaws and try for yourself. It's an expensive program,
but there is a free '40-minute-mode', wich means you can use it for 40
minutes a day. Enough time to test the work of one day, usually :)

Jedi Fans

Els said:
Nope. A screen-reader just reads out what is there, in the order it is
in. It doesn't tell the reader: "the next paragraph is a little bit to
the right". It also does't tell you if something is placed off-screen.
I use position:absolute;top:-1000px;left:-100px; for 'invisible links'
myself. I guess that ultimately, a screen-reader can do a lot, but not
detect your screensize and/or window size, font-size and scrollbar
position, and calculate whether a certain position of an element is
still visible to the visitor or not.
I guess they could implement that too, but so far it doesn't look like
they did.

You can download Jaws and try for yourself. It's an expensive program,
but there is a free '40-minute-mode', wich means you can use it for 40
minutes a day. Enough time to test the work of one day, usually :)
try FANGS, a Mozilla Firefox extension which outputs text which it would
be speaking instead of speaking it ;) much easier lol, plus free ;)
<http://www.standards-schmandards.com/fangs/>

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:
Nope. A screen-reader just reads out what is there, in the order it is
in. It doesn't tell the reader: "the next paragraph is a little bit to
the right". It also does't tell you if something is placed off-screen.
I use position:absolute;top:-1000px;left:-100px; for 'invisible links'
myself. I guess that ultimately, a screen-reader can do a lot, but not
detect your screensize and/or window size, font-size and scrollbar
position, and calculate whether a certain position of an element is
still visible to the visitor or not.
I guess they could implement that too, but so far it doesn't look like
they did.

Strange. You'd think they would considering the things for which
they're most likely used.
You can download Jaws and try for yourself. It's an expensive program,
but there is a free '40-minute-mode', wich means you can use it for 40
minutes a day. Enough time to test the work of one day, usually :)

I actually did that some years ago but it scared me.