db query returns many records

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Andrew Poulos, Jul 9, 2007.

  1. I have a query to a db that returns several thousand records. I can
    paginate the records so that the user is presented with only a small
    number at one time but I'm having problems with out to go about doing
    what I want to do.

    There are a number of scenarios:

    1. Users page through the records, select the one they want and click OK.

    2. Users click enter some search criteria, click Search, are presented
    with the results of the search, page through them (if necessary), select
    the one they want and click OK.

    3. On a different page there's the records returned from the db and a
    list of selected records. Users page through the records, select the
    ones they want and click Add to add them, one at a time, to the list (at
    the same time they are removed from the records).

    4. Same as 3 but with search capabilities.

    I can build the bits individually but I'm having trouble putting
    everything together. For example, in 2 do I hide the originally returned
    records and display the search results or should I open a new window
    with the search results? And in 3. as an item is added to the list do I
    re-paginate the the returned records?

    How should I go about approaching this?

    Andrew Poulos
    Andrew Poulos, Jul 9, 2007