dBase III files and Visual Foxpro 6 files

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ethan Furman, Dec 8, 2008.

  1. Ethan Furman

    Ethan Furman Guest

    Greetings All!

    I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
    wrapping up support for dates. The null value has been a hindrance for
    awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.

    For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
    and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
    ;) Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.

    As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready. idx files -- no support: for
    my purposes I just don't need them. I've found no problem in loading
    tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
    them on the fly in memory.

    However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
    useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
    files that would need idx/cdx support? Or tables so large they won't
    fit comfortably into memory?

    ~ethan~

    Ethan Furman, Dec 8, 2008

  2. Ethan Furman

    sniffer Guest

    On Dec 8, 12:53 pm, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    > Greetings All!
    >
    > I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
    > wrapping up support for dates.  The null value has been a hindrance for
    > awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.
    >
    > For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
    > and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
    >   ;)  Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.
    >
    > As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready.  idx files -- no support:  for
    > my purposes I just don't need them.  I've found no problem in loading
    > tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
    > them on the fly in memory.
    >
    > However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
    > useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
    > files that would need idx/cdx support?  Or tables so large they won't
    > fit comfortably into memory?
    >
    > ~ethan~

    hi ethan,
    great to hear that someone has finally written something for
    interacting with vfp6 data,when do you plan to release it

    sniffer, Dec 8, 2008

  3. Ethan Furman

    Ethan Furman Guest

    sniffer wrote:
    > On Dec 8, 12:53 pm, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    >> Greetings All!
    >>
    >> I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
    >> wrapping up support for dates. The null value has been a hindrance for
    >> awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.
    >>
    >> For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
    >> and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
    >> ;) Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.
    >>
    >> As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready. idx files -- no support: for
    >> my purposes I just don't need them. I've found no problem in loading
    >> tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
    >> them on the fly in memory.
    >>
    >> However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
    >> useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
    >> files that would need idx/cdx support? Or tables so large they won't
    >> fit comfortably into memory?
    >>
    >> ~ethan~

    > hi ethan,
    > great to hear that someone has finally written something for
    > interacting with vfp6 data,when do you plan to release it

    Well, let's see...

    A couple more days to have the datetime bit worked out (I don't support
    datetimes prior to 1981 in vfp tables),
    longer for currency types, and of course, no idx/cdx support at this point.

    Tell you what -- I'll trade you a copy of the code as it stands with
    date and datetime working for null values, for an answer of whether you
    need idx/cdx file support. ;)

    ~ethan~

    Ethan Furman, Dec 8, 2008
  4. Ethan Furman

    sniffer Guest

    On Dec 8, 7:44 pm, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    > sniffer wrote:
    > > On Dec 8, 12:53 pm, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    > >> Greetings All!

    > >> I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
    > >> wrapping up support for dates.  The null value has been a hindrance for
    > >> awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.

    > >> For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
    > >> and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
    > >>   ;)  Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.

    > >> As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready.  idx files -- no support:  for
    > >> my purposes I just don't need them.  I've found no problem in loading
    > >> tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
    > >> them on the fly in memory.

    > >> However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
    > >> useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
    > >> files that would need idx/cdx support?  Or tables so large they won't
    > >> fit comfortably into memory?

    > >> ~ethan~

    > > hi ethan,
    > > great to hear that someone has finally written something for
    > > interacting with vfp6 data,when do you plan to release it

    > Well, let's see...
    >
    > A couple more days to have the datetime bit worked out (I don't support
    > datetimes prior to 1981 in vfp tables),
    > longer for currency types, and of course, no idx/cdx support at this point.
    >
    > Tell you what --  I'll trade you a copy of the code as it stands with
    > date and datetime working for null values, for an answer of whether you
    > need idx/cdx file support.  ;)
    >
    > ~ethan~

    well ethan luckily i dont require idx/cdx support

    sniffer, Dec 8, 2008
  5. Ethan Furman

    imageguy Guest

    On Dec 8, 2:53 am, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    > Greetings All!
    >
    > I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
    > wrapping up support for dates.  The null value has been a hindrance for
    > awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.
    >
    > For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
    > and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
    >   ;)  Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.
    >
    > As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready.  idx files -- no support:  for
    > my purposes I just don't need them.  I've found no problem in loading
    > tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
    > them on the fly in memory.
    >
    > However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
    > useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
    > files that would need idx/cdx support?  Or tables so large they won't
    > fit comfortably into memory?
    >
    > ~ethan~

    I occasionally need access to dbf files. In the past I have used the
    recipe found in the
    python cookbook on the activestate website. I do not need access to
    the idx/cdx as I have found that

    If/When you release would enjoy having a peak.

    g.

    imageguy, Dec 9, 2008